Drum Corps Conspiracy Theories/Obscure Facts?

George Zingali, spinning a rifle about 5 feet right in front of me on his gravel driveway, looking like he could destroy me if he wanted:

GZ: Do you know why our rifles look so intense?

Me: No, why George?

GZ: Because right now I’m not looking in your eyes. I’m looking at a point 5 yards behind your head. 

• Like 6

This is from the DCA side, but a halfway decent obscure fact/bit of trivia:

In 1981 and 1982, the corps that won DCA's Rochester Regional show (the championship finalists from the previous year) finished third at the DCA championship finals, and the corps that finished fifth at the regional ended up winning the DCA title that year.

1981: Buccaneers win the regional, Hurricanes finish fifth. Hurcs win DCA title, Bucs finish third. 

1982: Hurricanes win the regional, Sunrisers in fifth. Sun wins the DCA title (my last year with them!) and Hurcs finish third. 

I'm here all week, folks. Try the prime rib. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

In 1981 and 1982, the corps that won DCA's Rochester Regional show (the championship finalists from the previous year) finished third at the DCA championship finals, and the corps that finished fifth at the regional ended up winning the DCA title that year.

1981: Buccaneers win the regional, Hurricanes finish fifth. Hurcs win DCA title, Bucs finish third. 

1982: Hurricanes win the regional, Sunrisers in fifth. Sun wins the DCA title (my last year with them!) and Hurcs finish third. 

Ok obscure DCA trivia…. Unless there was one recently, only one corps has come in last at DCA Prelims and also won DCA Finals.

1996 Westshoremen won DCA

1974 Westshoremen came in 15th out of 15 corps at Prelims. Ok they were inactive 1973 so I’d say that was an improvement. (That was my first year with the corps so of course I’d look for something positive 🙄)

• Like 2

On 12/5/2022 at 11:15 AM, Fran Haring said:

You had to bring up 82

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

You had to bring up 82

LOL!!! That '82 Rochester show... we were on 1st in a 10-corps show (the days of the "blind draw" lineups). Seemed like half the crowd wasn't even in the stands yet when we performed, around 6 PM. LOL.

When we ended up 5th, but only a couple of points out of 1st, and with the Hurcs ending Westshore's unbeaten season that night, we figured "hey... we're still in this"... busted our butts down the home stretch, and got it done! A great comeback summer for us, after an offseason where we were barely drawing 20 horns at several rehearsals into the spring months. 

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

LOL!!! That '82 Rochester show... we were on 1st in a 10-corps show (the days of the "blind draw" lineups). Seemed like half the crowd wasn't even in the stands yet when we performed, around 6 PM. LOL.

When we ended up 5th, but only a couple of points out of 1st, and with the Hurcs ending Westshore's unbeaten season that night, we figured "hey... we're still in this"... busted our butts down the home stretch, and got it done! A great comeback summer for us, after an offseason where we were barely drawing 20 horns at several rehearsals into the spring months. 

in 90 the regional was in Scranton. Westshore won, Bush was 4th. at Finals Bush won and Westshore was 4th. i'm mostly not mad anymore

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

in 90 the regional was in Scranton. Westshore won, Bush was 4th. at Finals Bush won and Westshore was 4th. i'm mostly not mad anymore

Yep... remember it well. Didn't you guys win the weekend before championships as well?

9 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Yep... remember it well. Didn't you guys win the weekend before championships as well?

Yes but Bush wasn’t there. They were at the Jersey show with Cabs. We did beat Empire that night

On 11/29/2022 at 4:18 AM, traverbanking said:

USAir's audio options included Garfields's 1984 West Side Story show. When USAir announced this, they claimed that travelers would get to their assigned seats more quickly if they played Garfield's show over the PA system as people were boarding.

Oh man...if I'd flown the airline and saw THAT on a playlist in the air...."THEY'VE GOT MY RING!" would be heard up on the flight deck!