The Cadets 2023

9 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

What difference does timing make? If they HADN'T reached out to them, then someone would have made a big freaking deal about THAT. Would you have wanted them to wait until April to reach out? May? June?  Give me a break dude. 

maybe wait til the next morning? 15 minutes after the announcement isn't good optics regardless of what corps did it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

maybe wait til the next morning? 15 minutes after the announcement isn't good optics regardless of what corps did it.

Or maybe they can do what they want without the Salem witchcraft trials? 

Too many of you are being overly critical over something that was meant to show goodwill to members' who's summers were potentially destroyed by a corps not being able to compete. If it doesn't affect you, I'm not sure why there's such a big deal. 

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I was a charter donor to Cadets2.  Loved the corps. But when Cadets decided to disband them. I told Jim he should get on the phone and try to get their housing site in Williamsport for CT.  He did BTW. So I guess that makes me insensitive. Oh well, I can live with that.  Been called worse. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

53 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I was a charter donor to Cadets2.  Loved the corps. But when Cadets decided to disband them. I told Jim he should get on the phone and try to get their housing site in Williamsport for CT.  He did BTW. So I guess that makes me insensitive. Oh well, I can live with that.  Been called worse. 

This is a good point. 

While still a youth activity (which is why we get so emotional about all this, I think), we are all constantly pushing for these groups to run themselves like real, honest-to-goodness businesses.  When a corps makes a shrewd and perhaps aggressive move which will benefit their bottom line (ie, full, talented corps roster), I find a lack of tact easy to forgive.    

Drum corps have been picking off the bones of the dearly departed for decades.  Every corps I marched in benefitted from a corps disbanding. There wouldn’t have been a 1978 Guardsmen had not the Fox Valley Raiders folded. We even got Tim Salzman from them. Blue Stars and Phantom Regiment got members from there, too.  Everyone in the Chicago area got members from Des Plaines Vanguard.  Marched with plenty of them. Some went to Kilties.  The thing is, acting like buzzards isn’t anything new.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't even consider it acting like buzzards, so count me in with the camp with no problem whatsoever with the Cadets ir any other corps did. In fact, I applaud them for their timing. If I were one of those talented SCV kids who got hosed, I wouldn't necessarily take the first offer I saw, but I'd sure be glad there were offers out there from the get go. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I don't even consider it acting like buzzards, so count me in with the camp with no problem whatsoever with the Cadets ir any other corps did. In fact, I applaud them for their timing. If I were one of those talented SCV kids who got hosed, I wouldn't necessarily take the first offer I saw, but I'd sure be glad there were offers out there from the get go. 

I used to say that BITD. We’re a bunch of buzzards 😂 

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

My thought is based on the members. If they didn’t like getting an offer that quickly then they don’t act on it. Don’t see where it’s anyone else concern or why it should raise blood pressure.

Could just hear it if my blue collar dad was sucked into this conversation “none of my #### business so keeping my nose out of it”

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I used to say that BITD. We’re a bunch of buzzards 😂 

The vultures are hovering 😱😱😈😈😆

• Haha 2