The Cadets 2023

So, as a life long Boston supporter, I don't have a dog in this hunt. But I offer a couple observations as an outsider.

First,  you guys are giving both the SCV alums and the Madison alums a run for the money in terms of dissent.  Whether you like BAC or not, we have never believed in doing the laundry in public.

Second, for those who have mentioned hearing nothing from the new Cadets director Brian Murphy...you won't.  He is not some kind of ego who will post either here or on a blog and make everything about himself.   I have known the man for 25 years.  He is a Cadet alum, very accomplished in the activity as a designer and judge, and he will return the Cadets to greatness given time. I don't have the impression that he is involved with the financial piece, but if the Cadets BOD find him enough money, I predict a return to greatness.

One final point....as supporters of two 80+ year old drum corps, I am sure that we can agree that our respective corps need to do whatever it takes to survive in the 21st century.

Think of how amazing it would be for these two corps to be able to celebrate their 100th anniversaries in another 15 years or so!

Edited by craiga
Grammar
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Please. YOU should know better than anyone that would not have made any difference whatsoever, ESPECIALLY on this forum. I think one of the things people seem to have lost is the possibility that had they NOT reached out to SCV as early as possible, then spots would have possibly been filled. Then they wouldn't have ANY opportunity to march Cadets. 

The activity is small. If it weren't cadets reaching out it would have been someone else for sure. How about some in the top who in the past reached out to staff as well as staff to members.DURING THE SEASON...hmmmm

Talk about shady

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

The activity is small. If it weren't cadets reaching out it would have been someone else for sure. How about some in the top who in the past reached out to staff as well as staff to members.DURING THE SEASON...hmmmm

Talk about shady

Recruiting soloists for the next season. 🤔. That’s slimy. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Maybe I’m a cold-hearted ##### but I don’t see the problem with striking while the iron is hot.  I mean, it’s not like there was a chance SCV is marching a corps. 

not even a little bit.  if self-appointed morality officers of dcp want to invent a problem with "optics" about this, let them knock themselves out.

i think decent people care about whether or not marching members who got screwed over by scv after already committing a bunch of time and money (talk about "timing" and "optics") were offended by the cadets' gesture.  anybody else's input is irrelevant.  

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Lance said:

not even a little bit.  if self-appointed morality officers of dcp want to invent a problem with "optics" about this, let them knock themselves out.

i think decent people care about whether or not marching members who got screwed over by scv after already committing a bunch of time and money (talk about "timing" and "optics") were offended by the cadets' gesture.  anybody else's input is irrelevant.  

That ten minute virtual whatever it was for $50 was disturbing. 

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

How about some in the top who in the past reached out to staff as well as staff to members.DURING THE SEASON...hmmmm

Talk about shady

huh ? It happens ALL the time though. Every year. All the way back to the pre DCI years too.

in his memoirs, Don Warren, Founder and Corps Director, writes  in his book " Building The Green Machine " of his recruiting staff for his Cavaliers at the VFW Prelims in the 60's. He also writes about approaching a baritone soloist and Father in the Miami Vanguard during1960 season to come march the Cavaliers and be their soloist... which he accepted. Nothing unusual about this either. Lots of Corps do this.... both then and now.

Bill Cook ( and others ) were talking to staffers of Corps to come to his start up Star of Indiana in the 1983 DCI summer season. 

I can easily think of dozens of examples of staffers and marchers being approached by other Corps staff and/ or Mgt. during the season to come march their corps.  All... the.... time. Every season.

In the " real world ", the business world, recruiters would contact me and others all the time... sometimes right at my desk's co phone ( lol )... recruiting me and others to leave my employer and go to work for them instead. Is it " shady " ? I dont know. Its nice to be wanted and valued,  I know that.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

huh ? It happens ALL the time though. Every year. All the way back to the pre DCI years too.

in his memoirs, Don Warren, Founder and Corps Director, writes  in his book " Building The Green Machine " of his recruiting staff for his Cavaliers at the VFW Prelims in the 60's. He also writes about approaching a baritone soloist and Father in the Miami Vanguard during1960 season to come march the Cavaliers and be their soloist... which he accepted. Nothing unusual about this either. Lots of Corps do this.... both then and now.

Bill Cook ( and others ) were talking to staffers of Corps to come to his start up Star of Indiana in the 1983 DCI summer season. 

I can easily think of dozens of examples of staffers and marchers being approached by other Corps staff and/ or Mgt. during the season to come march their corps.  All... the.... time. Every season.

In the " real world ", the business world, recruiters would contact me and others all the time... sometimes right at my desk's co phone ( lol )... recruiting me and others to leave my employer and go to work for them instead. Is it " shady " ? I dont know. Its nice to be wanted and valued,  I know that.

Great then people shouldn't be clutching their pearls over Cadets. Right?

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 3

This is an area where culture has changed over time.  BITD, when drum corps was modeled after the military, corps loyalty was as fervent as national loyalty.  Today, it is like picking teams at recess.  Each season, like each school day, you pick teams all over again.

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

Great then people shouldn't be clutching their pearls over Cadets. Right?

Know of a Senior corps that went inactive just before start of the season. Couple of them were invited to march with a competitor that same season.

Different from this as people from both corps knew each other personally but just sounds bit familiar 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1