The Cadets 2023

15 hours ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

I get it that the Atlas story isn't literal. I also get it that calling a show about athleticsim "Atlas" is dopey. 

Well, whatever the show is about, I am just hoping they're successful and the crowd is THOROUGHLY entertained. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Well, whatever the show is about, I am just hoping they're successful and the crowd is THOROUGHLY entertained. 

Source music alone tells me it's going to be entertaining. 

• Like 2

Just now, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Source music alone tells me it's going to be entertaining. 

I'm so desperate to hear Cadets' arrangements of them.

16 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

From the reading, I don't believe they are using the story of Atlas literally. They're using the symbolism of Atlas holding the up the world as "strength".

Exactly.

Altas is a symbol of strength. He was the leader of the Titan rebellion against Zeus. That would take strength, conditioning, bravery, power.

From WIKIpedia:

Atlas was said to have been skilled in philosophy, mathematics, and astronomy. The term Atlas has been used to describe a collection of maps since the 16th century when Flemish geographer Gerardus Mercator published his work in honour of the mythological Titan.

The "Atlantic Ocean" is derived from "Sea of Atlas". The name of Atlantis mentioned in Plato's Timaeus' dialogue derives from "Atlantis nesos" (Ancient Greek: Ἀτλαντὶς νῆσος), literally meaning "Atlas's Island".

So regardless of the literal outcome of the Greek tragedy the symbolism of Atlas is strength, fitness, exploration and brains.

Additionally body builders have used Atlas as a symbol fitness and strength. There was a guy named Charles Atlas who was an Italian body builder who developed many of the methods for which modern body builders use to compete. However, his real name was Angelo Siciliano, but he changed it to Charles Atlas with the last name coming from the Greek character Atlas. He did this because many felt his body reminded them of the statue of Atlas. His nickname was Charley. Therefore we get Charles Atlas. 

The point is Atlas has been a symbol of strength and conditioning world wide even if in Greek mythology he was defeated. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Exactly.

Altas is a symbol of strength. He was the leader of the Titan rebellion against Zeus. That would take strength, conditioning, bravery, power.

From WIKIpedia:

So regardless of the literal outcome of the Greek tragedy the symbolism of Atlas is strength, fitness, exploration and brains.

Additionally body builders have used Atlas as a symbol fitness and strength. There was a guy named Charles Atlas who was an Italian body builder who developed many of the methods for which modern body builders use to compete. However, his real name was Angelo Siciliano, but he changed it to Charles Atlas with the last name coming from the Greek character Atlas. He did this because many felt his body reminded them of the statue of Atlas. His nickname was Charley. Therefore we get Charles Atlas. 

The point is Atlas has been a symbol of strength and conditioning world wide even if in Greek mythology he was defeated. 

it's literally the name of a sports agency that reps football (soccer, to Americans) players

Edited by resipsaloquitur
  • Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 10:49 AM, 2000Cadet said:

Care more about that than anything else, tbh😂

Very much looking forward to hearing the Cadets this year!

Edited by Vidal28Rdg

If I could hear the crowd cheer as they did in 1987 when the Cadets exited the field at finals, I would be more than satisfied with whatever place they were given..peace

• Like 1