Should Cadets Have Won Drums?

Seth_h

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*phew*. I seriously read all seven pages. I don't frequent this forum, I'm usually on the div2/3 forum.

But here's a few cents from me.

Yes, we all have our personal biases, and we all have our favorites for whatever reasons. They are indeniable. But Cadets we AMAZING on finals. They were straight up ON FIRE. Do I enjoy the cadets? More than some, but they aren't my favorite. And to me, that's ok, because if everyone had the same favorite, this activity would suck.

#### clean wins. (if you're in the top 5 or so, granted, Crown, etc, get looked over. That's another conversation.)

And Seth, man, as far as Todd Fox goes... lighten up man. Todd is not a terrible judge. I would ask for another judge if I had the choice, but it doesn't work like that. Our pit had amazing four mallet exposed feature in the closer with sick permutations that I remember countless times, including finals and prelims, when the drum judge was in front of the battery instead. Whether or not it was because the cohesive of the subtleties we were playing were more important, or what have you, the judge always knew what the pit was playing.

Now on finals, where we saw a judge we had only seen us once, and didn't really know what to look for, I was upset. But, that's the way it works. Marion ended up winning, and I have no doubt they deserved it just as much as we may have. And no, he was nowhere around us for the snare break.

Such is life.

• 2 weeks later...

Iv watched and re-watched the DVD's with the drum judge commentary. Vanguard had a sub-par performance. I have seen clips of them from earlier in the season and they were much cleaner than finals night. There were little ticks here and there. Some of it was that they were drumming with such a fire, that they started causing dirt. i think their book was way better than the Cadet's(believe me, I am so sick of the reefed paradiddle-diddles) and it had a lot of tasty stuff, but also take into account that the Cadets just plain threw it down. I don't think I have heard a cleaner tenor lick. They had an amazing night and completely deserved that trophy.

Not a drummer, but after listening to the drum judge's on the DVD's, you bet your ###. Those guys were SICK.

The guard judge that dumped the Cadets was Jackie Gilley.

They weren't the only ones...

WHo did I like the most. Phantom and BD were top of my list. But in both I could hear the occasion phat note or dirty segment. Was also on top of my list, and I heard the occasional blurb. But with Cadets I couldn't hear one thing wrong. And from what my ears could remember It was a diffferent book for once. It wasn't the same book as the last few years. Bravo to Cadets this year. I was amazed. I had seen BD before them, and I thought BD had it in the bag, then I saw Cadets. And I was just blow away. IMO Cadets well deserved the title. But I wouldn't have been agast at BD winning it.

yea they were dirty.

Those super tight dynastys arent helping the scores either.

everyone knows the pearls hide dirt better but I personally like the pearl snare sound the best. (and I hate pearl drums)!

*it's a cosmetic thing more than anything else*