Should Cadets Have Won Drums?

Seth_h

I have seen a lot of these posts about how cadets won percussion.. and it's time I throw in my 2 cents (again haha)

1- Pit is included in the percussion scores (many of you are forgetting that)

2- How difficult it is isn't exactly all that is scored, they are making music... there are horns involved too and it's not suppost to be a 11minute drum solo like I feel BD does on occassion

3- Technique... check that out and compare sometime (including pit also)

4- Dynamic level and control... don't forget balance and enhancement of the overall production

5- One corps snare line may play better than another, tenor line might be better in corps B, bass line in corps C, pit the best in corps D, but overall... score them

6- we weren't out on the field... I don't care how good who sounds in the lot, or how cool their cadence is and warmups are...they are being judged on that specific run-through in also comparison to the other corps

7- some people are saying cadets didn't have any flams... well for starters I want to say it's time to start thinking rudiments other than just flams... however cadets did have A LOT more than you may think... and oh yea, don't forget all the singles, paradiddles, etc...

8- something that stuck out to me when I saw the cadets was the exposing of some parts like when the horns do a decrescendo...the snares play a fast roll descrescendoed as well.. very very hard to do that exposed and very risky.. but perfectly clean

9- again as a whole, the tenors, basses, AND PIT while added onto their snares were the best in DCI this year, on that night (as well as many others)

here is my opinion on some of the other drum corps drumline this season (i know some of you won't like this) this is mostly just for the battery below:

BD - too much ramming... nice sounding parts... too many individual playing though...and need to add to the music more rather than have a 11minute drum solo - wish they would have done something different w/ that cymbal rack... looked all too familiar uh... like last year to be exact just more of it

Cavaliers - kinda blah... some good parts, but musically extremely flat... doesn't go anywhere. Kinda like a marching drum machine with hardly any dynamics

Cadets - the best again this season overall, and major improvement from beginning of the season

SCV - unbelieveable jump from last season...very aggressive drumming and nice snareline... just a lil short overall in the other sections

Phantom - ah yea, Phantom is getting a drumline..very good this season... look for them to get better next season

Boston - very nice snareline, love the pit writing

Bluecoats - some nice grooves... but lacking extra umph haha

Crossmen - groove away the whole show... but not as exposed as I would expect crossmen to be (like in 91, 92, 93, etc...)

Madison - well... I hate to say it, but they are lacking a lot... good show overall but NOT the madison drumline as back in the early and mid 90's

Crown - wow what an improvement throughout the season... awesome pit... for a very young line, watch them next season

Magic - you can tell who wrote this book... it has past glassmen all over it haha nice snareline, they will continue to improve

Spirit - good writing and compliments the music very well... just not always clean

Blue Knights - finally we're back to where BK needs to be (well percussion anyways) after losing Hardimon, they are finally back to a different drumline that stands out...very nice pit and battery

Glassmen - definitely not the glassmen we are use to BUT they did improve a lot, and will in the future (maybe they can pick up bluecoats staff now since they got a new percussion caption head for 2004)

etc.... can't think of anymore right now... I'm sure many will bash away but go for it haha

Edited by DCIFanOfAllDivisions

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite the fact that Vanguard had a great year for percussion, just watch the Vic Firth videos and you'll see why Cadets won percussion.

and she did ruining all chances at the Cadets winning guard.

BZZZ.....that's the alarm ringing. Cadets didn't have a shot in "he I I " winning guard on finals night.........Blue Devils were in a class od their own..period.

Back to you're regualrly scheduled banter, rhetoric, and nonsense....

~G~

Thanks drum ppl for enlightening me. I would say after reading all of the responses that maybe the Cadets did deserve to win. Maybe not everyones favorite or personal taste but fair and square. No bad judges.

right? :blink:

It is funny that the guard came up in the post b/c my daughter is in the cadets guard. I stayed in Cocoa quarters nite and did not attend the show (bad weather-me wussy) but I was there semis and finals. I can not say whether or not they were slammed (so the rumor mill goes) during quarters -I can only say they were awesome on the other two nights winning guard at semis. :)

Maybe they had an off night, it happens but I would hate to think that judges hold grudges or are clueless (the reason for my original post) I would hate to think that a corps did their very best and didn't have a chance b/c of who they are.

Each and every corps works hard and deserves to be judged fairly.

Maybe it's better to say... I'm not shocked or offended that Cadets won... but if I were judging, I'd have put SCV in first. I don't think the judges are bad. They just value different things than I do. Cadets were obviously the cleanest line. I just think other things are more valuable than that.

Jim

Interesting thought there Jim...

I'm not a drummer.....but I've always felt the cleanest line should ultimately be what "high drums" should be about. What do you think is more important? In my mind...no matter whether it is a hornline, guard, or drumline...having a hard book but peforming it badly ( or even peforming it well...but not as good as others ) should not be rewarded....as much as the line who is clean...

just my .02

CM

Maybe it's better to say... I'm not shocked or offended that Cadets won... but if I were judging, I'd have put SCV in first. I don't think the judges are bad. They just value different things than I do. Cadets were obviously the cleanest line. I just think other things are more valuable than that.

Jim

ok fair enough... but tell me what exactly you would be looking for and your basis of what parts of SCV were better than Cadets on finals night

compare every section now :)

Jim

ok fair enough... but tell me what exactly you would be looking for and your basis of what parts of SCV were better than Cadets on finals night

compare every section now :)

First off... wasn't there finals night. Have to draw conclusions based on Allentown. I value the ensemble responsiblity that SCVs drumline has. I value the communication between the battery and the pit. Musicality-SCV oozes it. Just the kind of stuff I'm into. I can understand Cadets winning drums. I just wouldn't score them that high.

Oh... and I'm a pit guy, and SCVs pit is light years beyond Cadets in my eyes.

Jim