Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

I feel really bad for anyone who was all in with SCV this season since other corps have already had tryouts and contracts so it’s likely too late. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Reading now that they are in seven figures worth of debt currently. I’m sure they’re struggling with inflation like everyone, but that level of debt doesn’t happen unless things go very very wrong. I feel so bad for the members and staff. Horrible situation to be in.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, college-phan said:

Reading now that they are in seven figures worth of debt currently. I’m sure they’re struggling with inflation like everyone, but that level of debt doesn’t happen unless things go very very wrong. I feel so bad for the members and staff. Horrible situation to be in.

Source? (I can believe it, I just want to read for myself.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, college-phan said:

Can you point us to where you are "reading now"? Thanks much

I was in tears about Vanguard earlier today and had no idea. I've put a lot of pressure on them in the last several months to do better on many accounts, knowing nothing directly about their management. Save for the frustration I've felt trying to reconnect with them about my experiences marching. I don't see the problems as separate, knowing my own house as I think I used to.

Just this morning I realized that the show from the summer I was born, '84, was The Promise of Living. I later went on to perform as a soloist for a HS winterguard show set to the very same composition. Just a few years later, I would perform in SCV 04, two decades on the nose.

I was ugly crying early this morning because of that closer.

#TNPLSC

On 12/12/2022 at 8:21 PM, hostrauser said:

Public records. 😪

Edit to add: I began trying to support Vanguard again in the winter of 2020 when I spoke to leadership briefly about my adverse experiences in the corps back when I marched. Leadership, in response, urged me to speak with other alum about their experiences as well. They encouraged me to apply for the board, but when I did, I encountered an enabler of one of my abusers. I also pointed out that I couldn't volunteer my expertise in wellness & safety without addressing the DEI work needed. When I pointed all this out, leadership seemed to drop all communication with me.

After much soul searching, I decided to piece together my report and I ultimately released it through MAASIN.net in April 2021 at the behest of fellow alum. In the following year, numerous alum approached me (12 in all) with their own reports, or with connections to other alum with reports. In total, they described over 40 incidences of abuse ranging from 1980s-2022. I have shared this info with DCI and VMAPA, but both have diminished it. While I understand that they can't act on third-party reports without proof, I was not treated like the victim-survivor I am. I was treated callously, but with a smile. I was HR'd. My fellow alum largely, actively ostracize me and anyone who has associated with me.

I have endured bullying from this community and from my fellow alum for my actions and advocacy.

And I presume this post will be deleted soon. I've been censored on this platform multiple times for trying to share this kind of info.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Thanks 1

Non-profit tax filings from 2021, so this is financial data from 2020. Not a perfect picture of the current situation, but I’d say it’s quite indicative.

https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/237073438

Edited by college-phan
  • Thanks 4

Just now, hostrauser said:

I kind of believe it because I heard of a perennial finalist being almost $900k in debt and that was about five years ago.  They launched a five year plan to dig out of it. Not sure it worked but I did notice that they recycled some equipment and props. Of course, they dropped out of finals so…🤷‍♀️

1 minute ago, college-phan said:

Filings from 2021, so data from 2020. Not a good picture of the current situation, but I’d say it’s quite indicative.

https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/237073438

A million in the hole for 2020, the lost year. I've heard that it was higher than that at the end of 2022. I have an anonymous source that says they've whittled that debt down to about $500K, but touring in 2023 would have ballooned it back up to at least $1.5 million.

4 minutes ago, Den8uml said:

I feel really bad for anyone who was all in with SCV this season since other corps have already had tryouts and contracts so it’s likely too late. 

It's only December. Every single qualified SCV member will find a spot in another corps in an equal competitive tier if they try. Not one single corps has "set" their line yet. Granted, I feel sorry for those who were "all in", as you say, because they spent money and effort already, but if they really want the DCI experience, they'll make it work.

I'm sad for my home team, and I worry that this is just the beginning of the end. Maybe it has to burn down before it can be built again. Time will tell.

• Like 4