Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

6 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I would suggest an ‘all of the above’ approach to cutting costs.  Going from 3 semis to 2 semis may not save much, but it will save some.  Going from 4 snare techs to 3 may not save much, but it will save some.   Going from 85 brass to 70 brass, pit of 17 to pit of 12 etc will save some money, perhaps one less bus.  It all adds up.  

Reducing the number of kids actually hurts more than it helps. The answer is not just in reducing costs, but generating more revenue. Reducing students reduces revenue. 

35 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

so sad. of course i see the usual factors being blame incorrectly, but this to me is THE wake up call DCI and drum corps as a whole needs to learn from.

the whole thing needs to be evaluated top down...each corps, the whole organization. sure the tour looks shorter this year, but it's still going to be expensive. 4-6 weeks of spring training right? how much will that cost?

where is the grant writing? Sponsorships. diversification of revenue streams? I hate to say this, but when a lot of where we are now first came up on RAMD in 97, we predicted this, though it took longer than we expected. But regional touring isn't going to be that much less expensive....still need places to stay, feed the kids, gas from town to town etc. This also kills the whole G7 thing, cause here's one of the 7, and 2 of them were 8th and 9th place.

the whole thing needs some serious business minds tearing it down and building it back up.

Serious business minds don't want anything to do with drum corps. It's a darn shame that the activity can't improve its non-profit donation receipts.

2 minutes ago, TenHut said:

It is a long slow death. There were over 750 drum corps in 1971. What's left today 25 corps? Not good folks. 

A school cost nothing to use in 1971.  That cost is not even close to nothing in 2022 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TenHut said:

Serious business minds don't want anything to do with drum corps. It's a darn shame that the activity can't improve its non-profit donation receipts.

They’re all fighting for the same big donors, and against other programs in the non profit sector. Theatre, dance, studio arts, community music classes… etc etc etc 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

While the “arms race” of props, new uniforms each year, new instruments, etc… is a contributing factor to rising costs, i think we really need to explore an area of exploding costs: STAFF.

Designers, consultants, advisors, and (in some sections) more techs then MMs.

it has to be curtailed. 

I agree. The arms race in a few areas has hurt. The amount of money being paid to some designers and caption heads is crazy. If you can afford it then fine. But what happens with some "big-name" corps is they get desperate to keep up with the Jones because of who they are, where they think they should be placing, and trying to keep up with their brand. Because of this they spend money they don't have.

The sheer number of staff for many of these corps is also out of control. I know that some only do certain periods of time during the winter and spring camps -- and then tour. Maybe it's time that the staff making the most money are present for tour. Maybe it's also time to re-evaluate just how many techs are needed under each caption head. 

This obviously does not apply to all the groups but if you're on a tight budget (and most are) and if you are in debt then you have to cut somewhere. The cost of staff, the number of staff, the amount of props, extra trucks, etc. can add up real fast. With food and gas prices looking to still be quite expensive this coming summer it is clear most corps cannot afford to play the "win at all cost" game. 

I also worry about the lack of local support and local membership in many of today's drum corps. More local / regional members means more parents and more help. This can add up to more local people helping with a diverse set of fundraising operations. This also helps with prep for camps, tour, volunteers, and organizing other functions. 

I don't know...just thinking out loud. I never thought I would see the day that a corps like Santa Clara would have to go inactive for a summer. Yes, the Pandemic hurt everyone, but we have seem corps rack up debt year and year for a long time now. We have seen this arms race for decades. I wish all the marching members who were looking to march SCV all the best and hope they find a place to march. Some of them may just save their money for college and go get summer jobs to earn some more cash. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jwillis35 said:

I agree. The arms race in a few areas has hurt. The amount of money being paid to some designers and caption heads is crazy. If you can afford it then fine. But what happens with some "big-name" corps is they get desperate to keep up with the Jones because of who they are, where they think they should be placing, and trying to keep up with their brand. Because of this they spend money they don't have.

The sheer number of staff for many of these corps is also out of control. I know that some only do certain periods of time during the winter and spring camps -- and then tour. Maybe it's time that the staff making the most money are present for tour. Maybe it's also time to re-evaluate just how many techs are needed under each caption head. 

This obviously does not apply to all the groups but if you're on a tight budget (and most are) and if you are in debt then you have to cut somewhere. The cost of staff, the number of staff, the amount of props, extra trucks, etc. can add up real fast. With food and gas prices looking to still be quite expensive this coming summer it is clear most corps cannot afford to play the "win at all cost" game. 

I also worry about the lack of local support and local membership in many of today's drum corps. More local / regional members means more parents and more help. This can add up to more local people helping with a diverse set of fundraising operations. This also helps with prep for camps, tour, volunteers, and organizing other functions. 

I don't know...just thinking out loud. I never thought I would see the day that a corps like Santa Clara would have to go inactive for a summer. Yes, the Pandemic hurt everyone, but we have seem corps rack up debt year and year for a long time now. We have seen this arms race for decades. I wish all the marching members who were looking to march SCV all the best and hope they find a place to march. Some of them may just save their money for college and go get summer jobs to earn some more cash. 

Bwhahahahahaha. Techs are paid diddly.  Just because they staff roster is larger doesn’t mean the staff budget is.  It’s just so those staff can be at summer band camps, or not burn all their vacations time (the ones who aren’t teachers)  and all sections have coverage.  You re not paid when you’re not on tour.  It’s not a larger amount paid to everyone, it’s a larger staff getting distribution of the existing bag of money for smaller amounts of time. 

unless you’re part of a certain school of music with one certain corps.  They’re paid ok. 

1 hour ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Anyone have a favorite show or memory they want to share?

I have plenty of opinions about the folding hiatus of my own house, but tonight, I'd prefer to mourn rather than pick at the carcass.

Bruckner8 and I performed that show the summer you were born. Heck, we stood pretty close to each other in the hornline. 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

Bwhahahahahaha. Techs are paid diddly.  Just because they staff roster is larger doesn’t mean the staff budget is.  It’s just so those staff can be at summer band camps, or not burn all their vacations time (the ones who aren’t teachers)  and all sections have coverage.  You re not paid when you’re not on tour.  It’s not a larger amount paid to everyone, it’s a larger staff getting distribution of the existing bag of money for smaller amounts of time. 

unless you’re part of a certain school of music with one certain corps.  They’re paid ok. 

Agree and disagree. Yes, techs are not paid that much, but 25 to 30 techs x $1000 to $2000 or more still adds up. Also you still have to feed them. They take up room on the bus. My point is that those caption heads and designers who are being paid a lot more money do not need as much help if they are required to do most of tour and camps. I'd say the number of techs has gone too far. Again, this is not the solution for every corps especially if you are financially OK. But for those on tight budgets it isn't going to hurt to cut back. 

• Like 1