Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

10 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Argee… and as I said before if bingo is big in the area there are probably other games going on every night of the week else where. How many players are going to switch to a corps 2nd night and charge their routine. And don’t try to tell me bingo players don’t have their routine, superstitions and just general OCD behavior. (Worked bingo floor for my corps a few years.)

I worked bingo for the Catholic school my son attended.  Those women are nuts.  They had to call the police once because someone sat in another woman’s seat. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Millions and millions.  Where is this money coming from? I’ve donated thousands and I don’t anymore.  I can get taken for granted for free and squander my money myself.  

well. tuition is between 3500-5500 per student.  totaling $525k-825k in corps operating funds.  Which then leaves between 675k-1m to makeup with donors, grants, sponsorships, bake sales, sad dci appearance fees (which arent much) instrument/prop/costume sales...etc.  Audition fees, audition packet fees, student camp fees, metronome operator tuition... the list of monetizing students can get pretty deep.

in all honesty.  if they required EVERY corps to operate like Open Class.  Gaining NO appearance fees, it would allow show sponsors more incentive to host shows.  Go back to a full SERVICE industry where teaching is more important than design.  You may find a way to put less emphasis on monetizing the students. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I worked bingo for the Catholic school my son attended.  Those women are nuts.  They had to call the police once because someone sat in another woman’s seat. 

Just hated selling the paper “cards” couple of times a night. Can still hear: (OMG from 40 years ago)

”I’ll buy 4, NO NOT FROM THE TOP, TAKE THEM FROM THE MIDDLE”

”ma’am your hand was up, how many do you want” “NOT FROM YOU, FROM HIM” (point to guy across the room).

Middle of winter I drove home with my windows down for the cig smoke that cling to me. Wonder I wasn’t pulled over. Took my cloth winter coat inside during a game once. Had to dry clean the freaking thing to get the stench out. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

A giant has fallen and we're restating the same generic problems that, by now, I'm sure leadership is all too aware of. Go read what the youngers on reddit are saying... it's all the same stuff y'all are saying here, only slightly more disrespectful cause they have even more to be ###### about than us old cats who had our time. VMAPA already started the leadership overhaul recently with the CFO turnover, as I said earlier, and no, GR is not coming back to save us. Some of us wouldn't want that anyway.

The beginning-of-the-end and the they-should've-known-better talk is unbecoming at this fresh hour. Go apply to work for them or volunteer if you're really worried. Or maybe start your own doom-and-gloom threads, since it's been pointed out several times that other corps are guilty of many of the same issues...and let the rest of us mourn. Or whatever, do you, I can't stop y'all from dogpiling.

Don't you think I could've piled on too? Don't you think I know stuff that may have contributed to this? Yet I keep it to myself, for once, out of respect for our unique legacy, and a leadership team who is undoubtedly beside themselves at this fresh hour.

Or does class also go on hiatus this season too? Heaven forbid a 22 alum reads this thread... what will each of your contributions tell them about their efforts? I know what it feels like to be used in this activity and now is not the time to rub it in.

Not trying to pile on and actually trying to dispel consistently repeated fallacies. I’ve donated a bunch over the years and sponsored kids. Vanguard was the first drum corps name my daughter said. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Slingerland said:

The techs? No. The designers? Well....that's a different story.

It was just a little worse at Vanguard than other places. No individual is worth $40k plus (n a few cases, MANY plusses) for creating 10 or 11 minutes worth of a band show, but that's the stupid mindset the activity is in right now. If the total cost of designing a marching band show (let's call it what it is), is more than $100k, that's money that is foolishly spent. 

And Vanguard was spending significantly more than that.

Have a breakdown?

This absolutely breaks my heart along with many many others. Do you think something like a Go Fund Me page might hasten their return? Any money they can raise to retire debt helps. Just remember to pay off the oldest debt first.
Just throwing ideas out there. I’m still in shock so this may come off as a lame idea to some.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, college-phan said:

Reading now that they are in seven figures worth of debt currently. I’m sure they’re struggling with inflation like everyone, but that level of debt doesn’t happen unless things go very very wrong. I feel so bad for the members and staff. Horrible situation to be in.

Maybe they should stop holding camps in Texas and return to being a local organization that services students in the Bay Area? Maybe they should make better choices with their money than caving to the Rennicks who want SCV to become a UNT feeder organization. 

I'm frankly disgusted. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Indeed a nonprofit service industry that gatekeeps its expressed educational mission behind paywalls looks a little strange on paper... meanwhile, some of us have been saying hm, that's weird for a long time but were shoved out by jerks who weren't even alum.

(Not directed at you:) Don't tell me this is the beginning of the end... if you believe that, then you haven't been paying attention to the whistleblowers and survivors who have been shouting it from the rooftops for a long time.

Also don't even tell me it's actually the end when, as an alum, I have full faith that my fellow alum will turn this around. Actually, I take pride in the fact that they had the humility to call it before it got worse. Humility is not something I generally associate with my corps leadership, so it's a welcome breath of fresh air honestly.

No worries, Reamy, you're all good. There's a difference between folks having consistent personal connections to the corps/wanting to help and the AMG IT'S THE END crowd.

Sadly tho…. Is this the start of a scarier trend?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1