Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

5 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

I'm sad about SCV. They'll recover as smart people eventually help make key decisions. Or they won't, and drum corps will still go on without them. Maybe changed. Maybe not.

Some of you probably will be able to add to this, but I'm kind of trained to ignore the talk of more shoes to drop or last days of DCI. The Cadets and Hopkins scandal was going to explode across other corps, too, possibly bringing down DCI as we know it. Then the pandemic was going to be the end of DCI as we know it. Now finances at SCV is another canary in a coal mine.

There are some interesting perspectives to consider from these 51 pages. But much unhelpful drama to wade through.

I heard in 89, "if you're ever gonna march, you better do it quick. DCI won't be a thing in 10 years."

I marched in 97 and heard staff members from other corps telling each other "we're lucky to still be here. This whole thing will be done in 10 years."

I think "DCI won't exist in 10 years" is a perpetual rallying cry for the gloom and doomers.

I do love SCV. More often than not, they have my favorite show every season. Sadly, if DCI can keep marching on without 27, Bayonne, Suncoast, Glassmen, Freelancers, Guardsmen, Sky Ryders, Magic, DeLaSalle and too many others to list, they can keep on going without SCV.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ContraFart said:

Because one more vehicle is not causing corps to go inactive. The caravan size has been roughly the same for 25 years.

I’m not sure that’s true.  Typical caravan these days for a top 1-6 corps is 13-15 vehicles.  I have helped with parking at a show and have seen corps arrive with 3-4 semis, 6 buses, auxiliary truck and souvie truck and trailer and a couple of added support vehicles.  The semis alone: 2 for brass &  perc & guard equipment, 1 kitchen/food, 1 props.  Kids and staff in 6 coach/sleeper busses.

I don’t think anyone has this much back in late 90’s.

34 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

What I am trying to say is that the 3500 or so WC spots are going to be filled at the current dues level. Could there be more demand than spots if due were significantly lowered? Maybe, and I do think we need lower dues, its just that the market is currently sustaining the current dues levels. 

I'm with you here, but the only even slightly public data we got was last summer when DCI was advertising 1200 open spots in WC corps even during move ins.  I don't know if increased applicants are actually converting into increased membership.

Mike

17 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Because the whole point of amplification is that we wouldn't need 6 marimbas to be heard.  6 Marimbas are also a hell of a lot more expensive to transport and buy.  FWIW numbers balance acoustic instruments on the field. 

Yup, that was a big sell for amplification, then after amplification was passed, they added more and more xylophones, Marimbas, et cetera.

24 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

I'm sad about SCV. They'll recover as smart people eventually help make key decisions. Or they won't, and drum corps will still go on without them. Maybe changed. Maybe not.

Some of you probably will be able to add to this, but I'm kind of trained to ignore the talk of more shoes to drop or last days of DCI. The Cadets and Hopkins scandal was going to explode across other corps, too, possibly bringing down DCI as we know it. Then the pandemic was going to be the end of DCI as we know it. Now finances at SCV is another canary in a coal mine.

There are some interesting perspectives to consider from these 51 pages. But much unhelpful drama to wade through.

How many hits can the activity take?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, seinphan said:

I heard in 89, "if you're ever gonna march, you better do it quick. DCI won't be a thing in 10 years."

I marched in 97 and heard staff members from other corps telling each other "we're lucky to still be here. This whole thing will be done in 10 years."

I think "DCI won't exist in 10 years" is a perpetual rallying cry for the gloom and doomers.

I do love SCV. More often than not, they have my favorite show every season. Sadly, if DCI can keep marching on without 27, Bayonne, Suncoast, Glassmen, Freelancers, Guardsmen, Sky Ryders, Magic, DeLaSalle and too many others to list, they can keep on going without SCV.

There is some number of Corps, once suggested as 7, that are needed to keep DCI viable.   The problem is that perhaps we won’t know that number until it is too late.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I’m not sure that’s true.  Typical caravan these days for a top 1-6 corps is 13-15 vehicles.  I have helped with parking at a show and have seen corps arrive with 3-4 semis, 6 buses, auxiliary truck and souvie truck and trailer and a couple of added support vehicles.  The semis alone: 2 for brass &  perc & guard equipment, 1 kitchen/food, 1 props.  Kids and staff in 6 coach/sleeper busses.

I don’t think anyone has this much back in late 90’s.

In the 90s it was 4 or 5 busses, 2 tractor trailers, 1 kitchen 1 equipment, 2 15 ft box trucks with 15 ft trailers and 3 support vehicles.

If they are using 2 tractor trailers for just brass and percussion, then they are not making good use of space. 

5 hours ago, RogerF said:

You know what is P***ing me off about this topic?

It's the fact that there is one (maybe more) SCV alumni from the 1970s who are going onto the Facebook Drum Corps Planet group, and absolutely trashing SCV. Like, this person is posting really stupid immature memes, and other pictures of anything SCV, and just thrashing around their hate and disdain for anything SCV, including Photoshopped pics of SCV leadership and laughing at it all. Then he's also posting pics of himself playing snare drum in an SCV uniform (he calls them costumes) from the 1970s, but instead of green tunic, he changes the color to blue. Then, he's starts posting statements verging on politics and his opinion about being woke, etc., stating he is a "proud" alumnus of SCV.

Absolutely zero respect for SCV.

So, if there are any other alumni of SCV reading this, please tell your fellow alumni to have some respect for your own drum corps. It's tacky, it's offensive and very immature. You're grown adults. Just stop.

Thanks for listening.

I believe the the technical term I am looking for here is....

"CODSWOLLOP" or alternatively, "you are full of crap"

Those posts do NOT exist on our Facebook group nor have they. Perhaps you are mixing us up with the 2,00,000 DCP immitator pages on Facebook (excluding our good friends over at the Coffee Shop of course... they're chill). I am an admin of the Facebook group and I can assure you that #### would have been dealt with swiftly and harshly had that occured. I even went through the moderation logs just to make sure I wasn't wrong. 

Now to be fair, I have seen posts of that ilk, but that was NOT in our group.

52 minutes ago, seinphan said:

Often DCI, in general, is like a Labrador puppy who sees something different in the corner.  Go explore what it is... can I play with it?  Can I eat it?  If not, and when the newness wears off, lift your leg on it and walk away.🤣