Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

2 hours ago, TOC said:

Wasn't aware it was official.  Until then, nobody needs to reach for a hammer and nails.

Now, the chance of France winning the WC is very slim.

Maybe SCV should start a soccer league for a new revenue source..

Don't really understand or "love" soccer, but that was an exciting game... 🤔😁

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

44 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Mod hat here...

Please refrain from making personal attacks on other posters. If you believe that a post is outside the guidelines, please report it. Mods are not on here full-time, so the assistance of others is greatly appreciated. 

i have removed a few recent posts that crossed the line.

I removed more off topic comments.  Please keep the conversation civil and on topic.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

BITD we had Horn Sergeant , Drum Sergeant, and Color Guard Captain. These were leadership positions within the Corps typically held by the most experienced members.   They could always find something (plenty of things in our case) to work on if there wasn’t an instructor around.  

Different world now. Let’s say Sarge told everyone to do something and people got hurt. Liability? Does Sarge have the needed clearances?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Different world now. Let’s say Sarge told everyone to do something and people got hurt. Liability? Does Sarge have the needed clearances?

There is a degree of trust that needs to exist.  Sarge would have us marching box (what I think is now called basics block).  There was always something that the drums and guard could clean.  If there needs to be an adult around for some insurance liability reason, fine.  But member leadership needs to be trusted.   And if someone violates that trust, then they can be demoted (or removed from Corps if it is serious enough) & someone else given the chance.  

6 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

There is a degree of trust that needs to exist.  Sarge would have us marching box (what I think is now called basics block).  There was always something that the drums and guard could clean.  If there needs to be an adult around for some insurance liability reason, fine.  But member leadership needs to be trusted.   And if someone violates that trust, then they can be demoted (or removed from Corps if it is serious enough) & someone else given the chance.  

Those positions still exist. However they are organizational, not educational. You’re not going to have them step out of drill to stand in front of bells, or to step out of the snare line or guard to listen and watch parts. The students pay way too much for that. 

however the student leadership is required for getting everyone organized within the sections, getting everyone from A to B, and keeping the machine on schedule.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Trust is earned and not easily restored once broken.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnZ said:

I removed more off topic comments.  Please keep the conversation civil and on topic.  Thanks.

Thank you John, and Mike!

• Like 1