Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

17 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Who said brass technique had anything to do with it?

A question better asked of C.Holland,jjeffeory,and Bruckner8. It’s a really good topic but does it belong in this thread?

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

A question better asked of C.Holland,jjeffeory,and Bruckner8. It’s a really good topic but does it belong in this thread?

It was an extension of another related topic of mallet technique, which tied back to costs...

We do go into the weeds here, but then again, it wouldn't be any fun if we couldn't, imho.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I just heard this news. It feels like a piece of my heart just died.

I briefly lived in the bay area about 20 years ago. I volunteered at the BINGO hall for a while. Even though their tours are more expensive than their East-of-the-Rockies counterparts, I always assumed that Vanguard and Devils would always have a financial advantage because of their BINGO games and large alumni bases. This news hits like a ton of bricks and makes me worry about the solvency of the activity as a whole.

My heart goes out to the organization, and especially the kids who may have landed a spot in their dream corps, or looked forward to aging out with their friends, only have to face this. It sounds like they have a strong plan, and I will be at the front of the souvie line to buy a shirt when they get back on the field.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/15/2022 at 12:50 PM, Brian Tuma said:

Off topic but what’s up with those numbers from Golden Empire in Open Class?

Yeah, how are they making millions

On 12/15/2022 at 11:21 AM, mingusmonk said:

A Reddit user was kind enough to compile all recent corps 990 filings into a single spreadsheet. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ja39zeGtJSWFTu3rejDFLo0aSydUs-t0oioukYk8U34/edit#gid=0

Was it simply Covid loss of bingo? For 2020, SCV's Net Income $ (1,156,499) was almost 3 times the magnitude of the next net-negative organization, BDPA  $ (441,627). They aren't the only corps that relies on bingo revenue. Bluecoats own and operate their own bingo hall. Their 2020 net income was positive  $ 10,909. 

(it should be mentioned that we don't have Cavaliers or Crossmen 2020 filings available yet)

These numbers are probably not completely revealing the direct effects of Covid 19 on the balance sheet because of how the bookkeeping can vary on PPP activity, etc. As I understand, it could take 2021, or even 2022 for those true numbers to wash out. 

Shouts out to the missed @garfield who used to run the 990 numbers and analysis for us around here.

Looks like things are not profitable all over. Have heard some things about chops soundsport. Primarily, they canceled all their field shows except for finals weekend

32 minutes ago, rjohn76 said:

They're tied to a college/university foundation, so there's a little different level of support/revenue than most independent organizations.

Wow

On 12/15/2022 at 11:21 AM, mingusmonk said:

A Reddit user was kind enough to compile all recent corps 990 filings into a single spreadsheet. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ja39zeGtJSWFTu3rejDFLo0aSydUs-t0oioukYk8U34/edit#gid=0

Was it simply Covid loss of bingo? For 2020, SCV's Net Income $ (1,156,499) was almost 3 times the magnitude of the next net-negative organization, BDPA  $ (441,627). They aren't the only corps that relies on bingo revenue. Bluecoats own and operate their own bingo hall. Their 2020 net income was positive  $ 10,909. 

(it should be mentioned that we don't have Cavaliers or Crossmen 2020 filings available yet)

These numbers are probably not completely revealing the direct effects of Covid 19 on the balance sheet because of how the bookkeeping can vary on PPP activity, etc. As I understand, it could take 2021, or even 2022 for those true numbers to wash out. 

Shouts out to the missed @garfield who used to run the 990 numbers and analysis for us around here.

Wow! Must have been a slow day at work.  Great spreadsheet!  :spitting: