Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

Is the rule that corps that take a year off have to return to DCI in open class still a thing? I don’t remember situation that applies or how enforced it is. 

17 minutes ago, Hirsbrunner said:

Is the rule that corps that take a year off have to return to DCI in open class still a thing? I don’t remember situation that applies or how enforced it is. 

There was a rule that two years off would force a return in open class (famously imposed on Magic of Orlando in 2002).  But right now, rules do not necessarily apply in DCI.

23 hours ago, AzEuph said:

The presentation put out by SCV executive director is a joke.

So bingo is down, California labor laws making it more difficult, there’s a recession coming.  And yet, the solution is a second bingo hall and assumption that bingo will come back fully. What if it doesn’t? Now you’re stuck with more liabilities and a decaying revenue stream.

The “alumni” questions were softballs designed to spin into an ask for donations.  Maybe answer the more important questions that alumni were asking online.

Thanks for the history lesson on 2022 economics and inflation. Even people living under a rock knew about inflation, it was a pointless section for excuses. Pretty sure other corps were in the same inflation era… They started the budget in July 2021 and claim there was no way to know…except inflation concerns had started in at least May 2021!   Instead of making it sound like gas prices just went up during tour months, talk about what was missed the 3-4 months before tour!

The most important part should’ve been the debt of $650k.  They mentioned it at a high level as vendors but didn’t go into the debt structure, what caused it to rise, long term or short term debt, etc.

This was a failed attempt at calming the alumni.

and fans. trotting out the CPI is amateur hour

• Like 2

22 hours ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Ugh, geez Spike. 

"Instead of being proactive and addressing our shortfalls in 2022, we assumed everything would be fine and pretended if it was business as usual" 

I can tell you as someone who works in higher ed arts programs, that NO ONE thought it would be business as usual in 2022. The smart programs planned for disruption and sustained covid repercussions. Leaning on 2017-2019 models was never a good idea.  

I'm not particularly moved by this. 

i'm in housing. we knew 2021 wouldn't last forever. we were surprised it lasted til summer. but the warning signs appeared in March.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, craiga said:

I feel like after he mentions corporate sponsor possibilities, he dismisses them and runs home to mama....bingo.

For decades,  the band I teach (South Portland, Maine) had robust funding due to our bingo. That income is now a fraction of what it once was.   BAC had it into the early 90s, then that went away.  I don't know about California, but here in New England it seems like bingo faded because of smoking in public settings becoming illegal and online gaming becoming a thing.

Not sure hitching your wagon to a dying fundraising mechanism is a long term solution. 

BINGO!

• Haha 1

The thought of any corps trying to open a secondary Bingo operation with the hope for gain after the failure of the first would be like a fisherman casting a second line in attempt to catch a fish after the first line couldn't get a bite; two failures will get you nothing and leave you empty. 

• Like 2