Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

9 hours ago, corps8294 said:

The thought of any corps trying to open a secondary Bingo operation with the hope for gain after the failure of the first would be; two failures will get you nothing and leave you empty. 

Unless you're fishing for a trout named "Walter".  (Reference to "On Golden Pond") 😂

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 3

Miscellaneous thoughts after watching:

1. I'm impressed that they made this decision. It must have been very tough for all kinds of reasons.

2. Currency value as a factor? Oh, c'mon. This musical arts nonprofit is affected significantly by exchange rates? Probably something there for him to create a bullet item for it; I just can't fathom it.

3. Vendor debt sounds like money the organization owes to suppliers. But that seems like a strange way to describe their payables. Or maybe my head is stuck in a textbook too much.

4. Did he say $70,000 in fundraising? That's pennies. If they double that in the short-term, it doesn't accomplish much.

5. The inflation story. Geeze. @Jeff Ream described it as amateur hour. Yes. Everyone is affected by this. (And the COVID story, too.) All the other corps are affected by it in almost the same kinds of ways. I'll give them a break because of the travel schedule from a California base. But then there needs to be an explanation for how BD, Mandarins, and others worked with this without the same tragic consequences.

6. The steps they are taking seem okay to me. Evaluating all parts of their operations, looking for new funding. (Good luck on getting big sponsors, though. Have they called Cook in Bloomington? Ha.) And I appreciate this effort to communicate with everyone. It's easy to poke fun at or question things we don't fully understand (because we don't have all the information). But these folks are under great pressure in a very stressful situation. I wish them the best.

And I have fingers crossed that exchange rates will move around in 2023 in a way that benefits a drum corps.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

Miscellaneous thoughts after watching:

1. I'm impressed that they made this decision. It must have been very tough for all kinds of reasons.

2. Currency value as a factor? Oh, c'mon. This musical arts nonprofit is affected significantly by exchange rates? Probably something there for him to create a bullet item for it; I just can't fathom it.

3. Vendor debt sounds like money the organization owes to suppliers. But that seems like a strange way to describe their payables. Or maybe my head is stuck in a textbook too much.

4. Did he say $70,000 in fundraising? That's pennies. If they double that in the short-term, it doesn't accomplish much.

5. The inflation story. Geeze. @Jeff Ream described it as amateur hour. Yes. Everyone is affected by this. (And the COVID story, too.) All the other corps are affected by it in almost the same kinds of ways. I'll give them a break because of the travel schedule from a California base. But then there needs to be an explanation for how BD, Mandarins, and others worked with this without the same tragic consequences.

6. The steps they are taking seem okay to me. Evaluating all parts of their operations, looking for new funding. (Good luck on getting big sponsors, though. Have they called Cook in Bloomington? Ha.) And I appreciate this effort to communicate with everyone. It's easy to poke fun at or question things we don't fully understand (because we don't have all the information). But these folks are under great pressure in a very stressful situation. I wish them the best.

And I have fingers crossed that exchange rates will move around in 2023 in a way that benefits a drum corps.

Maybe they should be investing in currency futures? I hear good things about the ruble bouncing back. 

• Haha 5

I attended an SCV board meeting back in June 2018. Just as an observer. Nice people, nicely welcoming me. I hit a few California shows that year, including a great show at Stanford.

Have never been able to get photos to work on DCP. Is it really a complicated thing to let us drop in images instead of using links? My Google links won't result in displaying the photo.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NEWX9PQs2HRyiv2XA

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Maybe they should be investing in currency futures? I hear good things about the ruble bouncing back. 

I guess bitcoin is off the table now.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, mjoakes said:

I don't claim to know anything but we don't know the financial situations of other corps. BD does have additional revenue streams to help but they have also made the decision to not take the B corps outside of CA this year. Mandarins also only have 1 corps and did not field 2 on a full national tour last year like SCV did.