Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

39 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

I just don't see SCV coming back in 2024. They first have to paydown the "debt" they have....which we don't know but it sounds like it's pretty significant. Once and if that is accomplished then they need to raise money for a future corps to operate from. I scratch my head around the video they posted and as a lawyer I don't know of any laws regarding non-profits that suddenly happened in CA as that would also affect corps like BD, Mandarins and PC. Maybe it's local ordinances in the city and county? I don't know but I think this sudden problem was not sudden. 

One model for coming back is Blue Stars - folded in 80's due to debt.  Fielded Cadet Corps locally to raise $ to pay off debt.  Then (and only then) started touring, slowly, at the Open Class (then called A-60) level, built up to champions, and today are very successful.  But it took years of 'wandering in the desert'.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
speling
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Had a guy at work who every 6 months was “I found something, you will not BELIEVE how much money I will make”. Considering he said this for years it never worked. 

I've got an uncle still saying, "When I make my FIRST million in Amway..." or whatever the MLM he's currently into is.  

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

I've got an uncle still saying, "When I make my FIRST million in Amway..." or whatever the MLM he's currently into is.  

That’s a memory from the past. Dads cousin was insistent that the family visit right away. We stop over and notice their carport has tons of Amway stuff (it was empty month before). Just remember dad saying “outta here” and flying out of the driveway. 😳🤬

• Haha 4

23 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

That’s a memory from the past. Dads cousin was insistent that the family visit right away. We stop over and notice their carport has tons of Amway stuff (it was empty month before). Just remember dad saying “outta here” and flying out of the driveway. 😳🤬

I already have one religion; don’t need another. 

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

One model for coming back is Blue Stars - folded in 80's due to debt.  Fielded Cadet Corps locally to raise $ to pay off debt.  Then (and only then) started touring, slowly, at the Open Class (then called A-60) level, built up to champions, and today are very successful.  But it took years of 'wandering in the desert'.

You make a great point. We'll what happens but SCV is unique because they are a huge part of the drumcorp name and establishment.. 

3 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

...but SCV is unique because they are a huge part of the drumcorp name and establishment.. 

And the Blue Stars aren't? They were a part of the very first DCI finals back in '72. H*ll, they almost won DCI finals in '72. The Blue Stars are very much an established "drum corps name" and they have earned their place in the drum corps "establishment." 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, corps8294 said:

And the Blue Stars aren't? They were a part of the very first DCI finals back in '72. H*ll, they almost won DCI finals in '72. The Blue Stars are very much an established "drum corps name" and they have earned their place in the drum corps "establishment." 

Respectfully, I'd say no, the two are not on the same level. Even as someone who marched there and remains a fan as an alum. 

The Blue Stars are a solid organization, but lets face it, their world class history is essentially just the last 15 years for most people (the 70s might as well be ancient history and are pretty irrelevant to the brand value), and in that 15 years they've been generally a consistent finalist but not ever getting up into that realm where they could contend for a medal much less win a title. 

In comparison SCV is essentially drum corps royalty when you consider both their success and longevity. 50 years of history competing at the top level in DCI, multiple championships, even more shows that medaled, and pretty consistently a top 6 corps. 

That's not to diminish the work done at Blue Stars at all. Becoming a consistent finalist, delivering a good experience for members, and running an organization that seems to be on financially sound footing is quite an accomplishment in itself. 

• Thanks 2

On 12/25/2022 at 8:13 PM, gbass598 said:

I don't claim to know anything but we don't know the financial situations of other corps. BD does have additional revenue streams to help but they have also made the decision to not take the B corps outside of CA this year. Mandarins also only have 1 corps and did not field 2 on a full national tour last year like SCV did.

and pre-pandemic SCV and BD both said the plan was for BDB and SCVC to do not do national tours.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and pre-pandemic SCV and BD both said the plan was for BDB and SCVC to do not do national tours.

This gives me an idea.  Since bus costs seem to be a very large part of the budget, maybe rearrange Open/World class based on bus capacity, similar to the days when Open Class was split into Class A & Class A60?

As bus capacity seems to be 55 seats, there could be a one bus class, a two bus class, & a three bus class.  

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

And I was frankly surprised when both came to finals last year knowing that essentially a joint announcement was made before 2019. I was under the impression that was going to be a long term choice for the foreseeable future rebrand both SCVC and BDB to local corps only. Then a pandemic that effects the global economy and both corps decide to do national tours the first chance they get. I have to wonder if BD also privately regrets bringing BDB to finals last year.