Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

23 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

A thought experiment: hypothetically, what would they need to demonstrate to win you back? And I mean, besides the obvious... what actual indicators of massive change would you be tracking, as a former donor? Is it possible to earn you trust back, given the other corps out there who deserve support?

I do support other corps.  And, if i see a post about a truck breakdown, or stolen instruments, i almost always find something to donate.

i think i would have to see something forward looking, outside the box, from them. We all know the bingo thing, even a second location, isn’t going to get them out of this mess.  If they can find some new corporate sponsors, or another revenue stream, or  SOMETHING that shows they have learned from their mistakes.  The video, to me, was like the problem Southwest is facing now.  We saw trouble brewing, but did very little to nothing to affect change.  

i am not a wealthy person.  Sending good money after bad is not a luxury i can afford. But i will if i believe they have a workable plan.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Yeah, I asked because I'm not in a position to donate even small amounts, and was curious if others had similar indicators of improvement as me. I'm grateful that they pledged transparency over the next year... just also hoping that the bright light of day is enough.

I’m old.  And i could only start making regular donations after my youngest graduated college, about 12 years ago.  Hopefully, the activity, and your SCV, will be around until you are older and have some expendable cash! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2022 at 11:41 AM, TRacer said:

I totally forgot that; thanks for the reminder.

I also had a flashback to his “please don’t mess up” speech when Sandra Opie did that clinic with us that summer. 

In 84? I don't recall a clinic with Sandra Opie.....please refresh my memory. And oh yeah, who is Sandra Opie?

OG84

• Sad 2

11 hours ago, OG84 said:

In 84? I don't recall a clinic with Sandra Opie.....please refresh my memory. And oh yeah, who is Sandra Opie?

OG84

I was at one with her, Rick Elvord, and Jim Wren as clinicians in St Charles, Illinois at Pheasant Run in 1977.  It was a selection of horn players from the area. It was really nice to play alongside people from Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment, and other corps from the Midwest.  I really enjoyed it. I learned a lot. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I was at one with her, Rick Elvord, and Jim Wren as clinicians in St Charles, Illinois at Pheasant Run in 1977.  It was a selection of horn players from the area. It was really nice to play alongside people from Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment, and other corps from the Midwest.  I really enjoyed it. I learned a lot. 

We played together Terri! Good old “Theater in the Round!”. Didn’t the stage rotate as well….and they used strobes which was scary from a director’s/players’ standpoint. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

We played together Terri! Good old “Theater in the Round!”. Didn’t the stage rotate as well….and they used strobes which was scary from a director’s/players’ standpoint. 

How do I get this thing to give you four thank you trophies?

Mea culpa, I’m guilty as charged for going off topic.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1