Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

3 minutes ago, craiga said:

I wasn't in that loop....sorry.

And honestly, does it matter? They secured the funds first, then built their staff. 

1 minute ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

And honestly, does it matter? They secured the funds first, then built their staff. 

Really?

2 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Really?

They really did. And I find that admirable. That is how drum corps can survive. 

• Like 2

Just now, Jurassic Lancer said:

They really did. And I find that admirable. That is how drum corps can survive. 

Given today’s pressure on producing a top contender, I don’t buy, sorry for the pun, that BAC had all the financing in the bank before  challenging the elite at DCI.

3 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Given today’s pressure on producing a top contender, I don’t buy, sorry for the pun, that BAC had all the financing in the bank before  challenging the elite at DCI.

And that, I will kick to @craiga

12 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

I don't know why you would say that, but you have a right to your opinion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, craiga said:

I don't know why you would say that, but you have a right to your opinion.

It’s ridiculous. Boston is doing it right. They should be a model for other corps. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

It’s ridiculous. Boston is doing it right. They should be a model for other corps. 

Bingo (exclamation usage, not the noun usage).

The challenge some corps run into is the alumni/donors that have the ability to potentially contribute more time, effort & funding into the program will sometimes withhold those elements if the corps isn't performing at a level that they deem to be successful.  I've personally heard stories of wealthy donors dangling five and six figure contributions in front of an organization if they could find a way to crack top 6.  It's very easy to fall into the trap of chasing a particular placement in an effort to secure those additional contributions vs. actually developing an actionable business plan that outlines realistic ways to diversify & increase income/revenue (and subsequently improve placement as a result).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ZTWright said:

Let's be honest, anything any corps does after the SCV announcement is going to spell doom if you ask the people of this forum. 🤷

only if they are as poorly mismanaged

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TOC said:

Did they actually approach and hire the new staff post 17 finals, or where they already working behind the scenes before finals?

welllllllllll.........

rumors flew actually before Allentown of what would happen. oh hell, someone directly involved told me at Allentoen

• Like 1