Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

15 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

That and the other bingo game they weren’t reporting. 

And you say that on certain DC FB groups somehow DCI will get the blame. 🤦‍♂️ (Dropped out of one for this and other crap)

12 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I'm curious to know how this contributed to VK's demise... especially when I see it as less of a problem of paying people equitably (or "too much") and more of a problem on the revenue/fundraising side not meeting that good intention. I do not claim expertise here, but I do  understand equitable pay structures, employee incentivizing, and career succession planning.

Going from memory, VK was paying staff members as "independent contractors" as opposed to "employees".

That provided a number of tax benefits to all parties.

The IRS determined that  "if it walks like a duck ... " and ruled the staff in question were "employees".

That resulted in all kinds of fees, penalties, etc.

• Thanks 4

35 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

Going from memory, VK was paying staff members as "independent contractors" as opposed to "employees".

That provided a number of tax benefits to all parties.

The IRS determined that  "if it walks like a duck ... " and ruled the staff in question were "employees".

That resulted in all kinds of fees, penalties, etc.

The IRS will force you to consider a contract a regular W-2 employee based on the following types of considerations.  There are probably others, and more detailed, but this is the idea.

• How specific their job duties are.  The more specific the better.  Focus on a project, or specific deliverable
  • How long they are continuously contracted.  They should be under contract only for the part of the year they perform the work.
  • How long they perform the same duties.  They should have separate contracts for separate job roles, to be safe.  Rule of thumb is that each contract should not be as long as a year
  • If they act under the direction of the corporation, as if they were an actual W-2 employee.  They need to be independent

Most corps staff are contractors, and most corps admin are W-2 employees for this reason.  If you're paying your corps director, or full-time office people, or bingo workers as contractors you're going to run into trouble.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And you say that on certain DC FB groups somehow DCI will get the blame. 🤦‍♂️ (Dropped out of one for this and other crap)

Way back when Pride of Cincinnati was a drum corps, they were running two bingos under one license.  They had to shut one down. That’s a no no. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

AB5 is even stricter than that. I don't get the sense at all that VMAPA was mis-classifying workers though... the exact opposite actually... that they were following the new rules and struggling with the change. Big difference from the VK situation as far as I can tell.

Besides the CA. AB5 worker laws, corps and their employees (W-2 and IC employees) nowadays may be liable to pay state taxes for work performed in certain states (NY for one) aka. out of state athlete/performer income tax. Some states also have sales tax payments for items sold at souvie booths within their state (MA/RI).

• Thanks 1