Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

2 hours ago, troopers1 said:

I was looking further into this AB5 thing.   I think the crippling additional cost he mentioned may not have come primarily from converting part-time contractors to part-time W-2 employees.  It may have come from being fined after the state decided they weren't compliant.  Presumably we're talking about lower level, day-to-day instructional staff, who don't make a lot anyway.  But the fines can be thousands of dollars per "employee".  I have no idea if this is the case, but I'm just trying figure out how the switch would have blown up costs so much that it put the entire organization at risk.

Would the decision to fine [SCV] be a matter of public record and thus accessible either online or by some kind of FOIA request?  

6 hours ago, troopers1 said:

Those athlete / performer laws are so they can collect from Lebron James and Luke Bryan.  Not from drum corps instructors.  The cost of monitoring and enforcing it for the little guys would be more than they could ever collect.

I'm sure Tresona will monitize applying it to scholastic and drum corps level activities.

But again all those Cali dci corps seem to be surviving 

On 1/27/2023 at 10:49 PM, Jeff Ream said:

But again all those Cali dci corps seem to be surviving 

Those other Cali dci corps haven't also had revolving doors of leadership over the past five years and thus probably have less general getting-up-to-speed on stuff which could lead to something like this falling through the cracks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

For the sake of transparency and open records, I'm dropping some info from the whistleblower complaint I sent to DCI last week here. Sent to the ethics@dci.org email and several others in leadership roles at VMAPA, in solidarity with other alum who have been making their concerns heard through a variety of channels:

"I am concerned that VMAPA’s capacity to impartially review whistleblower complaints and allegations is flawed. And I am profoundly concerned that by not functioning optimally enough to appropriately handle cases, they are unable to support whistleblowers adequately and compassionately. 

Even if my own whistleblowing case was treated slightly more dismissively than others, I have lost faith that VMAPA can strike the appropriate tone with survivors and whistleblowers both on and off season; let alone access the training and experience required to take appropriate, compassionate action in response to reports. This is true now and historically, to life-altering effects for members across generations.

The following summarizes what fellow alumni have shared with me since April 2022, dating as far back as 2004, to as recently as the last five years. This tally includes my own story, but not any that I have not been given to consent to share. Some alum experienced more than one category and are counted once in each as needed.

[Note that this includes SCV and SCVC.]

Instances of medical neglect: 4

Instances of assault (sexual or physical): 1

Instances of bullying/harassment: 4

Instances of fear of retaliation: 3 (all within the last 5 years)

Historical bingo theft: 3 individuals involved

Instances of substance mis/use by members or personnel: 5

Instances of missed meals/food issues: 3

Instances of body shaming/weigh-ins: 2

Instances of humiliating/unresolved departure by membership: 4

What alum with a heart could sit on this information at this point?

Unfortunately, in nine months since [I released my open letter to the drum corps community,] I’ve encountered too many young alum who are afraid of retaliation or dismissiveness from VMAPA and the activity broadly for sharing their reports of misconduct. (And please keep in mind that the most common response to whistleblowing is character assassination.) Indeed, I needed to leave the activity in order to speak freely and not worry whether my speaking the truth would affect my next pay check or job. This is an inexcusable way to treat my fellow alum."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

2 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

For the sake of transparency and open records, I'm dropping some info from the whistleblower complaint I sent to DCI last week here. Sent to the ethics@dci.org email and several others in leadership roles at VMAPA, in solidarity with other alum who have been making their concerns heard through a variety of channels:

"I am concerned that VMAPA’s capacity to impartially review whistleblower complaints and allegations is flawed. And I am profoundly concerned that by not functioning optimally enough to appropriately handle cases, they are unable to support whistleblowers adequately and compassionately. 

Even if my own whistleblowing case was treated slightly more dismissively than others, I have lost faith that VMAPA can strike the appropriate tone with survivors and whistleblowers both on and off season; let alone access the training and experience required to take appropriate, compassionate action in response to reports. This is true now and historically, to life-altering effects for members across generations.

The following summarizes what fellow alumni have shared with me since April 2022, dating as far back as 2004, to as recently as the last five years. This tally includes my own story, but not any that I have not been given to consent to share. Some alum experienced more than one category and are counted once in each as needed.

Unfortunately, in nine months since [I released my open letter to the drum corps community,] I’ve encountered too many young alum who are afraid of retaliation or dismissiveness from VMAPA and the activity broadly for sharing their reports of misconduct. (And please keep in mind that the most common response to whistleblowing is character assassination.) Indeed, I needed to leave the activity in order to speak freely and not worry whether my speaking the truth would affect my next pay check or job. This is an inexcusable way to treat my fellow alum."

I want to thank you for having the courage to post this (& the courage of those whose experiences you relate as well).  
SCV & DCI have a golden opportunity to make things right during SCV’s hiatus.  I hope they have the intestinal fortitude to actually do it.  

• Thanks 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2023 at 10:49 AM, scheherazadesghost said:

It is time we turn our attention to driving accountability of the Board of Directors. They have been made aware of multiple violations of ethics and a disrespect of the organizations values and have failed to act. They must now be replaced.