Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

šŸ¤

Edited by Lead

I saw somebody really harping on recruiting local talent as a solution for SCV.Ā  Seems reductive to me, but maybe not?Ā  Which current top 12 corps really prioritize that, and why or why not?Ā  And just how much of a sea change would it take for that to ever become a priority for top corps again?Ā  I'm thinking it would take a lot more corps going down for a season or two for that kind of change.

This is just so sad to me.Ā  The only silver lining I can see to this is that corps may have to do more with less design-wise, which can spawn real creativity and innovation...though it seems like cutting design costs wouldn't have a big impact on a corps bottom line.Ā  Gotta look for something positive, though.Ā Ā 

Hope all of the kids who had already invested time and money in SCV this year are able to put a good summer together with or without DCI.Ā  My heart really goes out to all of you.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Lance
  • Like 1

Just now, Lance said:

I saw somebody really harping on recruiting local talent as a solution for SCV.Ā  Seems reductive to me, but maybe not?Ā  Which current top 12 corps really prioritize that, and why or why not?Ā  And just how much of a sea change would it take for that to ever become a priority for top corps again?Ā  I'm thinking it would take a lot more corps going down for a season or two for that kind of change.

Ā 

Ā 

It honestly wouldn't take much. The bay area has TONS of top tier HS programs that are churning out talented kids. The issue at this point, is most of these programs have hired BD alumni who are teaching BD technique. Especially for drums and movement, this is a big difference.Ā 

SCV abandoned its local efforts and instead focused on recruiting from an area where the students are already using their preferred technique, which essentially made UNT the feeder organization. So either SCV needs to start reinvesting in training local talent, or start pulling from the cadet corps for talent like the used to. This pipeline has nearly dried up completely for percussion and it's sad.Ā 

1 hour ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Sorry, not trying to come down on the alumni for that period.Ā 

Frankly, getting rid of JW was the start of the downfall. The corps never really gained their footing after 2004 and really struggled with finding their identity. Poor show design and mismanagement, where half the organization was trying to pull the corps in a new direction meant they were never able to have a focused vision of what the corps WAS. The people who carried the torch for Gail and his vision were drummed out in the name of progress.Ā Ā 

The Rennicks accelerated this, basically severing the tie with the Cadet Corps, and trying to move their recruitment base out of the bay area. I had hoped they had found their stride in the last 5 years or so, but I think the damage has been done, and without a solid local base to draw from, they just don't have the support necessary.Ā 

On the other side of the coin, Blue Devils are ALL ABOUT building local support. Their staff are in the local HS programs teaching their technique and training students. They have training programs for students as young as 5yo, they build their relationships with the local programs and generate excitement and loyalty within the community. It's why they have been so successful.

But how many of those local kids find their way into BDA?

1 minute ago, MarimbaManiac said:

It honestly wouldn't take much. The bay area has TONS of top tier HS programs that are churning out talented kids. The issue at this point, is most of these programs have hired BD alumni who are teaching BD technique. Especially for drums and movement, this is a big difference.Ā 

SCV abandoned its local efforts and instead focused on recruiting from an area where the students are already using their preferred technique, which essentially made UNT the feeder organization. So either SCV needs to start reinvesting in training local talent, or start pulling from the cadet corps for talent like the used to. This pipeline has nearly dried up completely for percussion and it's sad.Ā 

I get what you're saying.Ā  I'd assume they'd try to ascertain how long it would take to contend for championships by pouring that much time, energy, and money into local recruiting while every single other top corps puts a lot into recruiting talent nationwide and beyond.Ā Ā 

16 minutes ago, Lead said:

Also don't forget most corps won't "cast" you these days if you are an absolute monster player but weigh over 210-ish lbs. You no longer look the part.

Along with what C Holland said... it's a sad state of affairs as well for corps to string along these "alternates" all summer just to fill a hole in the middle of Wisconsin with a college kid who flew in from Texas.

yeah. seen that as well.Ā  which is truly unfortunate.Ā  had a great brass student audition, and be brought back to camps to basically be "sized" to see their progress in mass lost between camps.Ā 

I see this Rennick bashing, but is it him? How many in here bashed Cadets for eons for always having to have cadets connections? Local? Whereā€™s Boston have camp? Madison? Blue Stars?

Ā 

the closest thing to a true local corps in world class is Surf. The same corps fighting to make semis annually. Not faulting them for their approach either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

But how many of those local kids find their way into BDA?

there's the rub.Ā  take the kid who spent thousands paying into the system, or the ringer who comes from (insert university name) and is the next rook out Baryshnikov?Ā 

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

I see this Rennick bashing, but is it him? How many in here bashed Cadets for eons for always having to have cadets connections? Local? Whereā€™s Boston have camp? Madison? Blue Stars?

Ā 

the closest thing to a true local corps in world class is Surf. The same corps fighting to make semis annually. Not faulting them for their approach either.

its not. its the activity. out of staters who can make fit the purpose, and pay the fees are what everyone is chasing.Ā Ā