Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

7 minutes ago, perc2100 said:

So who can tell us what the most successful corps is that's taken a year off and come back?  Is there a current corps now that took a year or two off to reorganize and sustained viability? 

I know Magic of Orlando took two years off and came back immediately into Finals (after having to compete in Open Class throughout the season: the only corps to win Open Class, then make Finals later that week IIRC), but they couldn't sustain and were only to field a corps for 5 years when they returned (only 2 of which made Finals).  

I can't think of a more successful story of a corps coming back from a year or two off, and certainly no corps that came back and returned to financial stability long-term.  As mentioned, WGI groups do this relatively frequently, especially guards, so maybe this is a more financially stable/viable alternative for DCI corps in the future: a 'one year off/two years on' kind of business model, perhaps.  

IDK; I'm trying to think of a positive outcome for SCV here from a historical perspective.  Obviously has lived by their name, being at the vanguard/forefront of the activity so if any corps can defy history it's SCV.

Troopers took a year off and they’re still here. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

You have two alumni telling you to please reconsider this stance.

We're saying that where you pull talent from (staff and members) is at the heart of the issue... or rather, that one factor cannot be separated from the other both in regards to morale and in a very objective, financial way. Should where talent comes from matter? That's a justifiable question, but unless we're in those alumni, board and leadership meetings, our opinions don't matter much. VMAPA now decides what matters.

We're also saying it's really dang complicated... so trying to identify the one thing that did us in is pretty moot at this point. No one's even come close to my understanding of the problems yet so I'm just sitting back, SMH, wishing people would stop poking at the carcass. If you have the ears to listen to what alumni are saying, it really hurts right now and has for a while. Many of us have been ignored or dismissed when we have any variety of legit, verifiable concerns. And still many of us have legit reasons to be mad at outsiders/non-alum, like it or not. Can we have the grace to process, given that we're still not 24 hrs from the news breaking?

I've been through my own corps folding because of bingo operations failing. The heart of the issue is fundraising and having viable options to raise those funds and then being adaptable to those changes. Corps can do anything they want or need as long as it is within their means. You can pull members from many different places. Everyone does it. it's how you adapt when your "means" change.

It's easy to speak in hindsight but many organizations failed because they didn't have good money managers in place. SCV has had a lot of turnover in their management in recent years. I certainly would love to have faith that current management can right the ship. SCV was what hooked me on drum corps in 1991 even though I never auditioned to be a member. I just think blaming the teaching staff like Paul Rennick like I've seen mentioned is unfounded. He doesn't write the checks. He and the other staff are a victim of this just as much as the members.

I also seem to remember after 2018 that both BD and SCV announced that BDB and SCVC were going to be reorganized into local efforts and not attend DCI finals. Neither came in 2019. Covid happened in 2020. Neither corps did anything in 2021. If finances were that bad, was bringing SCVC on a national tour to DCI Finals right out of Covid really a prudent financial decision? Its amazing most groups were able to put 1 corps on the field last year and SCV and BD did national tours with 2. BDB is not coming this year.

I'm sure there are a multitude of reasons why it came down to this. Perhaps the revolving door of people running the organization and lack of a constant direction might be more to blame than out of state members and staff and holding satellite camps in other locations like every other top 6-8 corps does.

I wish the organization nothing but the best. I hope everything works out for the better and other groups take note to prevent these issues for themselves. I also have to be leery that starting a 2nd bingo night is really going to be the long term answer.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, perc2100 said:

So who can tell us what the most successful corps is that's taken a year off and come back?  Is there a current corps now that took a year or two off to reorganize and sustained viability? 

I know Magic of Orlando took two years off and came back immediately into Finals (after having to compete in Open Class throughout the season: the only corps to win Open Class, then make Finals later that week IIRC), but they couldn't sustain and were only to field a corps for 5 years when they returned (only 2 of which made Finals).  

I can't think of a more successful story of a corps coming back from a year or two off, and certainly no corps that came back and returned to financial stability long-term.  As mentioned, WGI groups do this relatively frequently, especially guards, so maybe this is a more financially stable/viable alternative for DCI corps in the future: a 'one year off/two years on' kind of business model, perhaps.  

IDK; I'm trying to think of a positive outcome for SCV here from a historical perspective.  Obviously has lived by their name, being at the vanguard/forefront of the activity so if any corps can defy history 

Edited by RiverCityAndTroopersFan
I was wrong
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I dunno y'all.

It just really sucks when so many of us have been trying to tell the community about stuff like this for a long time... but only now y'all listen... and not very well to boot. It's easier to pick over the carcass than help prevent its death I guess. I'd love to hear from recent alum honestly. They know more than any of us.

Just please keep in mind how many of us are hurting right now before you go poking around in our wounds.

Most of them. In 2022.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Like 1

Aside from all the issues and hardships all corps face with expenses, tour model, etc,, I heard "second hand" that SCV tour management was poor last year and part of the corps experience included not always receiving meals. This is not my experience, just relayed to a family member from a member of the 2022 corps.

• Sad 2

I’m slightly recent alumni. There’s a lot to wade through. Personally, there’s not a lot of faith I have in this current board/leadership. It seems to me there’s been a lot that they’ve overlooked recently and poor management of funds, on top of all the hardship the last few years. 

Up until this weekend a head educational staff member was posting near daily advertisements for Vanguard auditions on his Facebook. I had one private student at callback camps this weekend. I have heard (no word from my own student) that they were giving out contracts Sunday only to drop this news Monday. 

It seems to me a pretty large amount of negligence in management and communication. Not to mention a disconnect between those who call the shots and the general/audition operations. Ambiguous state of audition fee refunds: once again VMAPA behind the curve of the situation. 

I will say that the anti-Rennick, anti-out-of-state-recruiting stance goes a little too far sometimes (and I mean this as respectfully as I can). This coming from a California Alum. Drum corps talent pools are national and even global now, and I personally feel it’s a stretch to equate this recruiting style to financial stress (if any, there are way bigger expenses to deal with that would be more worthwhile addressing). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, drumhead31 said:

Aside from all the issues and hardships all corps face with expenses, tour model, etc,, I heard "second hand" that SCV tour management was poor last year and part of the corps experience included not always receiving meals. This is not my experience, just relayed to a family member from a member of the 2022 corps.

This fellow alum knows what that's like, not because there wasn't enough food, but because of extremely unnecessary distress... all for a visual trophy or higher medal placement that never manifested. If this is true, I wish I could apologize to this 22 alum personally because it's wholly unacceptable.

Y'all are testing my blood pressure today. Thanks for speaking up and saying something if this is true.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, seinphan said:

Boston, Spirit, Blue Knights and too many other corps to mention have satellite camps in Texas and other states that are not their "home" state. This isn't a novel idea that only SCV uses and they weren't the first to do this. Texas has an enormous amount of talent and to not try to tap into that would be foolish. Even if Paul and Sandy were running the drumline this way and routinely finishing in the 5-10 range, they still wouldn't be to blame for this. To have the run they've had in percussion is something that SCV hasn't done since the 70's. Did Ralph, Scott and Jim win a Sanford? Yes. Did any of them have the sustained runs of top 2 finishes? No. What they do clearly works.

I've met Paul and Sandy. I wouldn't call them friends, we've literally only met once or twice. They were both very friendly and the multitude of people that I know who have known them for years have nothing but positive things to say about them as people and teachers.

Again, SCV isn't folding because of Paul and Sandy Rennick.

Thanks for your opinion, but I was there to watch first hand while they torpedoed the relationship with the cadet corps and the local community. Not to mention running Vanguard winter percussion into the ground in a few short seasons. They have no interest in the bay area community, nor the SCV traditions that created the platform that they stand on top of. They made it very clear that they didn't consider the cadet corps as part of the same organization and it's led to them having no footprint in the bay. 

Again, blaming them for everything isn't fair either, but their hands are NOT clean. 

• Like 2