Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

1 minute ago, tedrick said:

What is the fastest rise to the top 6? Probably Star of Indiana, right?
Could the Rennicks do this with the Troopers if they went full time on their staff?

I’ll say no because Paul and Sandi already have a hand in the percussion there and they are not brass, color guard or visual people.

5 minutes ago, tedrick said:

Could the Rennicks do this with the Troopers if they went full time on their staff?

Not without blowing up the staff cohesion they've built over the past 2 years. Paul and Sandi are already writing Troop's book as it is. Lauren Teel is steeped in the Rennick method already, and doesn't need Paul to come in and supercharge anything. She's a supercharger herself. 

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, C.Holland said:

If you're a student, and you didn't get a refund.  I'd suggest getting a family lawyer to send a nicely, but sternly worded letter. 

If they paid for a camp and it was held, and they received instruction and meals....even if they did this with a corps that shut down, the chances of a refund on that is near zero.   However, any "tuition/dues" money that was paid toward the summer, or any camp fees paid toward camps that were cancelled.......that is a totally different deal, and IMO, would legally equate to "theft", as they paid for something that did not happen, and isn't going to happen..........

• Like 3

Almost everyone my age who I marched with BITD and still talk with have completely left the drum corps activity due to the change in direction, awful, weird, goofy uniforms and prop madness. The drum corps activity has done this to themselves. When fans no longer enjoy a product they stop attending/buying. Companies just don't completely abandon their tradition and legacy for obvious reasons, but that is exactly when every drum corps has done. 

Bad decisions from the corps, and bad leadership and decisions from DCI and here we are. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tedrick said:

For a start up corps , Yes . But while difficult and not as frequent as desired , several Corps have moved up  6 or more placement positions from one season to the next . That said , it would be great to see Troopers  continue to move up the placement ladder again . They had a very well designed and entertaining show last season , imo 

Best of success to SCV as they take the 2023 season off. I hope they are able  to cut into their current debt and find other sources of revenues that would allow them to return in 2024 . 

Edited by Boss Anova

42 minutes ago, tedrick said:

Spirit of Atlanta was in 6th place their 2nd year (1978).  Star took 4 years, first hitting top 6 in 1989.  

Star is only Corps to make finals every year they existed. 

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, C.Holland said:

there's the rub.  take the kid who spent thousands paying into the system, or the ringer who comes from (insert university name) and is the next rook out Baryshnikov? 

and BDB was getting to be the same way for a while.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, C.Holland said:

its not. its the activity. out of staters who can make fit the purpose, and pay the fees are what everyone is chasing.  

exactly. When Crossmen were up here, an overwhelming majority of the members were from the region. hell Cadets too. Ditto Boston back then. 

as i pointed out elsewhere, follow the schedule...it's about the BOA areas. look where the camps are. the audition camps. it's not just one staff members fault...hell Rennick taught Sky Ryders when they were in Texas. They folded and Texas had barely anything DCI until Bones moved.

and while i'll miss SCV horribly....well over a million for salary and wages. is staff still getting paid this year to keep them from bailing? with no income except maybe another bingo game....it appears the future chase of the ring still rules all priorities.