Santa Clara Vanguard 2023 Announcement Thread

Toby

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Bus realities

Great info....but too many won't care.

And a side note...if the corps owns their own fleet of busses and semi tractors, those costs are identical, especially on something like fuel, THE COSTS OF WHICH ARE OUT OF CONTROL OF THE CORPS.

But sure...keep focusing on elements that are almost non-issues from a percentage standpoint and ignore something like the above.

7 minutes ago, seinphan said:

You clearly have an axe to grind with the Rennick's, so I'm gonna let you grind it (if that makes you feel better). I don't think this whole thing can be laid at any designer or staff members feet, nor can it be laid at any one directors feet. I think that each of the last 5 directors walked into a worse situation than the previous one did and it finally became too much to fix. 

But, hey, let's blame the Rennick's and the pile of trophies they brought to SCV.

You've mentioned the trophies and competitive achievements several times now, which makes it clear you're missing the entire point. The health and strength of an organization isn't judged by its trophies (as anyone who marched from 2000-2017 will tell you), it's the level of character and strong foundation that's built from long-term service to the community. Obviously, VMAPA decided to trade the intangible essence of the Vanguard and ties with the local community that supported it for 50 years for a few drum trophies. I hope those trophies help them sleep at night this summer.

If you get off this board and see what the alumni/former staff are saying, you'll see that the general consensus is "that's really sad, but I'm not surprised it came to this." The organization rotted from within because of people who didn't respect what made the Vanguard special. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, TenHut said:

Almost everyone my age who I marched with BITD and still talk with have completely left the drum corps activity due to the change in direction, awful, weird, goofy uniforms and prop madness. The drum corps activity has done this to themselves. When fans no longer enjoy a product they stop attending/buying. Companies just don't completely abandon their tradition and legacy for obvious reasons, but that is exactly when every drum corps has done. 

Bad decisions from the corps, and bad leadership and decisions from DCI and here we are. 

This sounds like some of my friends that bailed on the activity. They send cranky group emails and texts. Things that got fwd'ed to them or went viral on social media for which they have no context. They haven't been to a live show in 20 years. Many of them live within an hour or less from Lucas Oil Stadium. I ask them when is the last time they saw live drum corps. I invite them along. They don't respond. Just come and hang with old drum corps friends in the pubs, restaurants or lots. If they won't (and mostly they won't), then I know it isn't about props and whatever clothes the kids wear. 

Edited by mingusmonk
spelling and grammar
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and BDB was getting to be the same way for a while.

it was. and i know at least a few trumpets from the east coast who marched BDB because of the time commitment and cost while getting BDA design to perform.

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Right?

you have to look at all the programming and systems they need people to operate vs BAC.  and where revenue comes from.

The health and strength of an organization isn't judged by its trophies (as anyone who marched from 2000-2017 will tell you).....

2000-2017, which includes several Rennick years. Glad to see he's included in the lexicon👍

Edited by seinphan

18 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’ve got a story.  I was donating monthly to a corps and I had my card compromised in December 2019 and I had to get a new one. So I contacted the corps and let them know that I needed to change my credit card.  I called several times and was even told that they’d call me back and get the number. Nothing for months. They continued to run the old card and it was rejected, of course.  It was a canceled card, 😂. 15 to 20 times they ran that card.

So in the late spring of 2020, DCI cancels the season. Then the day after,  I hear from the corps and then they wanted my new credit card number.  I didn’t even respond. That was it for me. I haven’t donated to a drum corps since after decades of donating.   Some of these corps need to treat their donors with a little more respect. I’m not looking for anyone to kiss my ### but I shouldn’t have to beg someone to PLEASE TAKE MY CREDIT CARD NUMBER so I can give you money. 

Whenever these situations come up, I can't help but wonder what the fundraising office looks like for each corps. I have worked in the nonprofit art/education sector my entire career and know that there needs to be a development officer minding the ship and working on grant applications, scholarships, annual fund, etc. We see the "sponsor a meal" or Friends of DCI, but what are the development activities? Resources don't just show up. There has to be a plan in place to pursue money and support. Not sending thank you acknowledgements or responding to your specific desire to support is unacceptable and in regard to tax purposes, illegal.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

As someone who regularly sees the financials of one WC corps, I don't see evidence of this. The combined costs of all camps, in all locations around the country, don't come anywhere close to the 14-week cost of running the summer tour. The difference is many orders of magnitude. We could eliminate all winter camps, and it really wouldn't move the needle much -- other than cratering the ability to put a corps on the field.

Do the students auditioning pay to attend weekend camps? Does that cover the costs of said weekends?