A Modest Proposal

15 hours ago, ContraFart said:

Not in the least. The rental and fuel costs will be almost identical. If there are any savings at all, it will pale in comparison to the additional tour fees of 30 more members

Which brings up the question(s) that only those with insider knowledge will be able to answer:

1. What does it cost to design a top 6 show vs a bottom 6 show?
  2. What does a Bluecoats/BD/SCV/(inserttop6corpshere) designer demand money wise?
  3. Which is the largest contributor to the increased cost?

I can see how expanding member count tour fee wise vs cost wise could be a wash. So then do we go back to bigger show, bigger design, bigger cost for that design?

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

Pro sports have players that get paid. 

Yes, I understand that, but that doesn't mean the same concept can apply here by instituting maximum spend constraints on everything. This activity is on its last breath with Vanguard folding. Several top corps, and some not so top corps, are seemingly in similar positions financially. It's gotten so out of hand with what corps have to spend to win, and many can't do it.

1 hour ago, DudleytheWest said:

Exactly. I have thought of this too. I know it's not exactly like this, but this is how I have thought of it.

In 2022:

• 15 people that would have marched Bluecoats marched Blue Devils.
  • 30 people that would have marched Vanguard marched Bluecoats.
  • 45 people that would have marched Crown marched Vanguard.
  • 60 people that would have marched Cavaliers marched Crown.
  • 75 people that would have marched Boston marched Cavies.
  • 90 people that would have marched Blue Knights marched Boston.

I think you get the picture here. This is what I'm talking about re: level playing field. The top corps seemingly steam roll the activity to the point where every change seems to benefit the top corps to the detriment of the lower corps.

It's irresponsible and stupid. DCI should be striving to grow the activity, not shrink it.

This is a common myth. The rule change allowed corps to put 165 people on the performance field, up from 156, but it really didn't add any people to most of the corps. They were already on the bus and on tour. They were alternates. The rule change simply allowed those people to be utilized as part of the performance. Nobody added a bus to march 165 AND have alternates.

7 minutes ago, BradF said:

They were already on the bus and on tour. They were alternates. The rule change simply allowed those people to be utilized as part of the performance. Nobody added a bus to march 165 AND have alternates.

Are you saying corps did away with alternatives once they marched 165?

11 minutes ago, BradF said:

This is a common myth. The rule change allowed corps to put 165 people on the performance field, up from 156, but it really didn't add any people to most of the corps. They were already on the bus and on tour. They were alternates. The rule change simply allowed those people to be utilized as part of the performance. Nobody added a bus to march 165 AND have alternates.

I thought the max was 150 before? I must have missed another increase. Are we sure every corps carried alternatives? I would think many wouldn't have that luxury? Are we also sure corps aren't carrying 165 + alternatives? 

Just now, TOC said:

Are you saying corps did away with alternatives once they marched 165?

Not necessarily. Most didn’t actually march 165. Or it opened up the possibility of two people to split a spot. Or part of the show to be written for more. Or, or, or…. It gave corps a lot more options to get people off the sidelines and onto the field.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DudleytheWest said:

Yes, I understand that, but that doesn't mean the same concept can apply here by instituting maximum spend constraints on everything. This activity is on its last breath with Vanguard folding. Several top corps, and some not so top corps, are seemingly in similar positions financially. It's gotten so out of hand with what corps have to spend to win, and many can't do it.

Given that the inmates run the asylum and common sense direction has never been their forte you have a better chance of seeing me toss a 7 and catching it perfectly 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BradF said:

Not necessarily. Most didn’t actually march 165. Or it opened up the possibility of two people to split a spot. Or part of the show to be written for more. Or, or, or…. It gave corps a lot more options to get people off the sidelines and onto the field.

This is true.  I can only think of 4 or 5 that actually marched 165.

36 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Given that the inmates run the asylum and common sense direction has never been their forte you have a better chance of seeing me toss a 7 and catching it perfectly 

I would very much like to see that Jeff LOL. I agree though. 

• Haha 1

On 12/17/2022 at 7:33 AM, craiga said:

Since the busses they use are 55 passenger busses, they would still need three.  But at 128 members, the third bus would be half full, so no savings in what is the biggest expense. 

But tech staff, health staff, food staff could share busses with corps member like BITD and eliminate the need for RVs, staff vans, staff van Drivers (who also eat food), etc.