A Modest Proposal

5 hours ago, DudleytheWest said:

Well I think DCI needs to level the playing field. This is why pro sports have salary caps - to level the playing field. There's none of that here. If there were maximum thresholds on each component of the budget it would bring down costs and create a level playing field.

If Troopers can operate a program for $1.1M in 2019, then why do the Blue Devils need to spend $4.7M? Answer - to win. This is why a corps like the Troopers will NEVER beat the Blue Devils. How can $1.1M compete with $4.7M? 

Look at each organizations programming and operations.  BD didn’t spend $4m on one single program.  They operate 10+ different programs and services in addition to their revenue generating operations.  Troop operates one corps and a couple of other programs and revenue generating services. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

Look at each organizations programming and operations.  BD didn’t spend $4m on one single program.  They operate 10+ different programs and services in addition to their revenue generating operations.  Troop operates one corps and a couple of other programs and revenue generating services. 

Each Corps in DCI has unique challenges as well as opportunities.   Question is how many common challenges and opportunities exist?   I think we can all agree that, while maintaining the current state of the product (summer tour performances) we need both lower operating costs and increased revenue.  How this happens is the challenge. 

2 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I would very much like to see that Jeff LOL. I agree though. 

No. My father threatened to cut me out of the Will. Not because I tried guard work but because me trying guard work would likely result in someone being injured 

2 hours ago, denverjohn said:

But tech staff, health staff, food staff could share busses with corps member like BITD and eliminate the need for RVs, staff vans, staff van Drivers (who also eat food), etc.

And given the issues that have screaming to the forefront since 2018 is that a good idea?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Given that the inmates run the asylum and common sense direction has never been their forte you have a better chance of seeing me toss a 7 and catching it perfectly 

Let me get on the other side of the stadium first… Mmmm kaaay

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Each Corps in DCI has unique challenges as well as opportunities.   Question is how many common challenges and opportunities exist?   I think we can all agree that, while maintaining the current state of the product (summer tour performances) we need both lower operating costs and increased revenue.  How this happens is the challenge. 

The common challenges is feeding, moving, and housing a corps for between 60 and 75 days every year while coming out in the black.  For those registered as non profits, their books needs to equal 0 when the appropriate filing time occurs.   That’s the real challenge.  Just looking at tax records and how many close shop every few years, you can see that is the hardest challenge of them all. 

14 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

And given the issues that have screaming to the forefront since 2018 is that a good idea?

When we discussed brief sectional rehearsals, you said adult staff had to be present and in charge for liability concerns.  Why would that not be a concern on a long bus ride?

On 12/17/2022 at 11:04 PM, lowend said:

I also wonder what the savings cost for 128 would be in terms of food, equipment, insurance, needing less staff, fewer props on the field, etc.

Negligible, honestly in terms of food, equipment and insurance.

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeN said:

Negligible, honestly in terms of food, equipment and insurance.

Mike

you're not renting 1 gym and 1 field.  you have to separate sleeping areas by gender, age group, staff, admin, drivers, etc.  plus at least 3 fields. everything is charged per sq ft plus all costs passed back along.   Start at $1500/night.  Top it at 3500/night. 
$40/day per person for food. 
3-4 busses, 2 equipment trucks, 1 food truck, plus a small truck for pit cart, drum major stands, etc.  Know an estimated mileage between ALL points along your tour.  add 20% for contingency.  Bring these numbers to a rental company. 

Now...   Go math. 

On 12/18/2022 at 10:02 AM, DudleytheWest said:

Well I think DCI needs to level the playing field. This is why pro sports have salary caps - to level the playing field. There's none of that here. If there were maximum thresholds on each component of the budget it would bring down costs and create a level playing field.

If Troopers can operate a program for $1.1M in 2019, then why do the Blue Devils need to spend $4.7M? Answer - to win. This is why a corps like the Troopers will NEVER beat the Blue Devils. How can $1.1M compete with $4.7M? 

....money spent doesn't always mean success in the real world, so I don't understand why it has to here, but I'll defer to your data.