2023 DCI Rules Congress proposals at-a-glance

Lance

1 hour ago, Tony Flores said:

Yes on 1...maybe go back to having a brass, visual, and percussion ensemble judges. Leave holistic show concept to the GE judges.

Yes on 3, even  though most of us know who the music and Visual GE judges are

Yes on 2, 17 minutes per window is too much time...might reduce the props and stage set up. But they need to enforce the step off and exit times. 

Yes on 4

No on 5 & 6

That proposal doesn’t offer that though. It’s only about brass 

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Good question that I never considered.  BITD many if not most Drum Corps members didn’t have marching band experience; I wonder if anyone on field at 2022 finals didn’t have marching band experience.  Perhaps Troopers cellist I suppose.  

Nope I judged her in HS

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

Not exactly, they're recommending that the MA judge that is used has percussion experience so they don't lose this.

Not how it’s worded

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Well the proposals are more regarding amplification and doubling as whole. They don't hinder the creative aspect of added electronics. I for one absolutely agree with taking away the general amplification of the hornline. 2021 Boston was painfully loud. 

DCI could have a “ Sound Engineering Caption “ as in 2017 Crown Finals Performance , the singer soloist voice was butchered every which way to Sunday . Due to the electronics  malfunction on Finals night  , her voice in solo sounded so cringe worthy it sounded like the poor girl was singing while swimming underwater thru a snorkel . Yet the placement and score were not impacted .

There is the saying “ live  by electronics , die by electronics “. But that does not seem to be the case insofar as DCI judging sheets are concerned  . There is no brass solo “malfunction “forgiveness on the current sheets if the marcher botched the solo . There does appear however to be an engineering malfunction forgiveness on the current sheets . .  I always assumed a judge’s responsibility was not to determine  WHY a solo ( voice , brass , percussion, guard, whatever, etc   ) was not performed well , but simply to assess that it was not performed well . But since at least 2017 , my assumption on that appears to be inaccurate . So yes, I would like to see changes in how performances are scored as we wait to see what shakes out , if anything , with these particular proposals .

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1

I don’t see how 6 could be enforced. The judges would need up to date scores they could analyze in real time or someone on the field watching over the synth player’s shoulder 

1 sounds good.

2- cant say I like shorter shows, especially when shows often have fewer corps these days. You have to preserve the value of those events. (See also: newspapers decreasing content and then being surprised people found no value in subscribing). Id rather tighten up the overall time, even if it means it becomes less feasible to roll a semi-worth of props onto the field. I don't really buy the prep time argument. Corps used to have no problems putting these shows on the field with shorter periods of pre-tour rehearsal. Again, maybe the answer here is not biting off more than you can chew in terms of complexity

3- Definitely agree with this, and would hope this might tilt things back to being more musically focused

4- I don't buy the justification for this. I don't remember feeling "pressured" by adjudication, other than maybe from on-field judges, which aren't really a thing anymore. 

5\6 completely agree. This helps rein in abuses of the A&E components that were never supposed to happen when first proposed

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wolfgang said:

At BOA this year, a certain band from Florida also way over-amplified the entire band when it wasn't needed. Connection?

The Florida Blue Stars. Yup.

1 hour ago, Phantom56 said:

A ten minute show? Please NO. The corps travel hundreds of miles through every night--to perform for ten minutes?  I really wish to hear Crowns brass for as long as possible.  I say less rehearsal time--more performance time. 

Brass are seriously only playing 4-6 minutes as it is now.  At least that way it would be *half* the show.  😠

(overall, the brass folks definitely had opinions this cycle...)

Mike

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phantom56 said:

A ten minute show? Please NO. The corps travel hundreds of miles through every night--to perform for ten minutes?  I really wish to hear Crowns brass for as long as possible.  I say less rehearsal time--more performance time. 

It's fine with me. And if there's a repeat of some of the gimmicky junk from 2022, cut the shows to 5 minutes. Maybe we'll get at least a full 4 minutes of live, member-played music.

• Like 1

Is it just me, or are this year's proposals fairly conservative on nature? Of course, the biggest proponent of radical change (woodwinds, G7, etc) is no longer in the activity....but these proposals seem to be more along the lines of tweaking current trends instead of burning the house down.