2023 DCI Rules Congress proposals at-a-glance

Lance

On 12/24/2022 at 12:23 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

That is an excellent idea - if shows are 10% shorter than they should cost 10% less to design, & 10% less to clean.  

Yeahhhh not how it works. Unless move-ins/tour is shorter, staff aren’t being paid any less. They aren’t paid by show length. They’ll still be “working” the same block schedule/same amount of time while on tour.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, juice said:

Yeahhhh not how it works. Unless move-ins/tour is shorter, staff aren’t being paid any less. They aren’t paid by show length. They’ll still be “working” the same block schedule/same amount of time while on tour.

Perhaps.  Question - are staff paid by the hour, or on salary?  Would be easy (not popular, but easy) to cut salaries 10% across the board.

But you hit on a point that I had not considered - If the show is 10% smaller, then the Corps needs 10% less spring training time.  

I believe that if Drum Corps is going to survive, then costs will have to go down.  And every cost  (except performer safety) should be considered.  Every. Single. Cost.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
further pontification
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Perhaps.  Question - are staff paid by the hour, or on salary?  Would be easy (not popular, but easy) to cut salaries 10% across the board.

As contractors, it's more of a fee-for-service arrangement.  The length of the service usually to be determined in advance.  

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeN said:

As contractors, it's more of a fee-for-service arrangement.  The length of the service usually to be determined in advance.  

Mike

I understand.  But the Corps can say 'This is what we can pay you', correct?  And the contractor can take it or leave it.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I understand.  But the Corps can say 'This is what we can pay you', correct?  And the contractor can take it or leave it.

The group I work for (albeit is open class so it’s likely a much different world than world class) pays by the day. If you break down the hourly rate it’s anywhere from $4-5/hr depending on the daily schedule. We already struggle enough getting people to teach for how little pay it is (most people have real life costs). Taking 10% off the staff budget saves a couple grand at best, but you’re probably hurting member experience by losing staff more than you’re gaining anything by saving minimal money.

Edited by juice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Reducing the length of the show might result in lower licensing fees...but even then it's hardly a sure thing, given the prevalence of chop and bop.

Edited by jthomas666

19 minutes ago, jthomas666 said:

Reducing the length of the show might result in lower licensing fees...but even then it's hardly a sure thing, given the prevalence of chop and bop.

Yeah, only saves money if you actually use fewer songs.

Mike