12 Days Of Drum Corps - 1991 Cavaliers

In 1991, the Cavaliers answered a very important question: Can a drum corps performing a show comprised mainly of Christmas music be taken seriously and contend for a title?

Link

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant visual design - the first minute is an absolute blast to watch, even on mute.  Compared to 1990, it felt like the brass took a massive leap forward in quality, and the book was growing with them.  Obviously in 1992 they jumped again.  The percussion was still the corps' musical strength, along with their amazing visual programs during those years.  

Took me 10 years to find a good recording of Die Natali, the piece they took Silent Night from.  Especially in pre/early internet days, sourcing out pieces was like living out the movie National Treasure; lots of usenet board posts, emails, visiting random university libraries, light breaking and entering... fun times.

Mike

• Like 5

I was at finals, side 2, 20 yard line top row lower deck.  Those around me and I all thought Cavaliers had won first championship, SCV 2nd, Phantom 3rd, Star 4th. Star did not have a good run that night; Rondo said as much on the broadcast.  This is when I realized that the Judges were rewarding the season, not the field performance on finals night.   

• Like 4

What a beautiful show!  Not a particularly technical brass book but they put a focus on sound quality…tuning, ensemble balance, etc…compared to prior seasons and I thought it really connected emotionally.  

Go listen to finals recording and how the crowd erupts at the end…exact reaction they got when I saw them in Birmingham.  Think I’ll go listen to it again now.

3 minutes ago, membase said:

What a beautiful show!  Not a particularly technical brass book but they put a focus on sound quality…tuning, ensemble balance, etc…compared to prior seasons and I thought it really connected emotionally.  

Go listen to finals recording and how the crowd erupts at the end…exact reaction they got when I saw them in Birmingham.  Think I’ll go listen to it again now.

It’s a great Steve Brubaker Cavaliers virtual moment leading into the final impact of the show. 

• 11 months later...

Christmas BUMP

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/18/2022 at 10:29 AM, kevingamin said:

In 1991, the Cavaliers answered a very important question: Can a drum corps performing a show comprised mainly of Christmas music be taken seriously and contend for a title?

Link

that drum solo. all day

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

that drum solo. all day

Especially when all the concert basses join in.