DCI DAMAGE CONTROL

1 hour ago, Lance said:

there is no governing body for DCI other than the governing body that pretends it isn't a governing body when it's inconvenient and is a governing body when it is convenient

not sure the damage needing to controlled is as widespread as the OP implies, and even if it were, individual corps and DCI's (however you define it) first instinct is to ignore damage or sweep it under the rug

TLDR:

toy-monkeys.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=Mzw

“Slow clap” 👏👏👏

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Understood and agree… just hoping DCI and the corps realize this is just the start of changes and it ain’t going back to the old normal.

Keep thinking pre and post 9/11. Worked for Dept of Defense and lot of #### changed and stayed changed 

I was stationed at Pentagon- change literally overnight was amazing.  Some stayed changed; some didn’t (or more accurately some was modified to make it work better).  Busy days.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Boss Anova said:

We can go back and read DCP's comments from just a couple of years ago on here when Covid arrived on our shores, forcing Corps out of performance competition, that predicted that DC itself would cease to exist. That assessment posted back then is still on here to read for those still interested in the Dooms Day Scenario predictions. Corps had to adjust to that unexpected pandemic, lockdowns, crisis, escalating inflation, and all the rest of it. it is amazing to that DCI survived. But yes, challenges remain, and corps will have to continue to figure how how to navigate the post pandemic era, and adjustments will need to be made. it wasnt that long ago that several World Class Division Corps had between 27-32 show competitions. Last I looked, most all are under 25 now this season, some closer to 20 show competitions now for this season than 30.  Eastern and midwest based Corps used to travel out to Calif. for early season shows every other season or so.. Doubt we'll see that return anytime soon.  The 2023 Season is a bit more constricted travel wise it looks like.  Behind the scenes, I'm sure Corps are doing some cost cutting, increasing new revenue streams, and other things to make it work. But make no mistake, the Corps are being challenged like never before. Anything those of us on here can do to help our favorite Corps or Corps in these trying times, I'm sure they'd appreciate it.

I read an article about the Spanish Flu pandemic when the Covid shutdowns began.  The Arts (movies, theater, concerts) were the last things to recover. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Although different circumstances, I'd be curious about DCI's level of involvement/support during SoA's hiatus... just for comparison. I'm sure there are brief articles about it, but I'm wondering about nuance. Support can mean a lot of different things. And this insight could inform expectations and standards.

More importantly, how much help is VMAPA willing to accept? I'm sure they're so grateful for all the advice they could scream.

I suspect they will be more open to help that brings $$ with it.  

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I read an article about the Spanish Flu pandemic when the Covid shutdowns began.  The Arts (movies, theater, concerts) were the last things to recover. 

It will be some years before we know all of the Covid impacts, both to Drum Corps as well as society in general   

• Like 4

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I was stationed at Pentagon- change literally overnight was amazing.  Some stayed changed; some didn’t (or more accurately some was modified to make it work better).  Busy days.  

We were told to leave at lunch time so they could prepare the base for the higher threat condition. So in long line of traffic leaving the base and see one vehicle coming the other way.

It was a forklift with a concrete road (Jersey) barrier on his way to block something. That’s when it hit me….

Of course spot checks with the bomb sniffing dogs entering the base for a couple of weeks helped too. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Added to that was a recession when the (now unemployed) soldiers came back from WWI. Companies building war supplies cut back so even less $$& available for entertainment.

Sound familiar with less available money?

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Agreed.

This stance is not aligned with several of their core values, some of which are Teamwork and Collaboration, and Mutual Care and Respect. But I'm not sure what I actually think they could do anyway.

That said, I do think that the swan song went out from Vanguard to please help our members find spots and other corps are answering. It shouldn't be overlooked, even if fumbled in some cases.

It's complicated.

The only thing about this on DCI's website is a footnote under corps updates... and it's a reshare of a Fb post at that. That kinda hits me right in the aussie. 🤷🏽‍♀️  I hadn't really gotten my hopes up high enough for anything more anyway though

Edit to add: I missed DCI's announcement, my bad.

"The corps" to me are the members, and the corps that are left are taking care of those members from SCV in not having them pay any sort of audition fees and trying to ensure that they too can continue to have a home while not bankrupting themselves by saying "free tuition". That's what they can do, that's what they should do, and that's what they are doing. Nobody is going to be able to dig SCV out of debt except for SCV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1