12 Corps Of Christmas - 1978-1982 Guardsmen

I'll admit, this entry onto my list is a stretch since the Guardsmen are playing "Greensleeves", but considering it is the same melody as "What Child Is This?", I decided to roll with it.

https://medi-nerd.com/2022/12/28/12-corps-of-christmas-1978-1982-guardsmen/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, kevingamin said:

I'll admit, this entry onto my list is a stretch since the Guardsmen are playing "Greensleeves", but considering it is the same melody as "What Child Is This?", I decided to roll with it.

I think Ms. Terri needs to weigh in on this.

10 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

I think Ms. Terri needs to weigh in on this.

They played it too #### slow in 79. It was like a funeral dirge. They were trying to avoid the long open roll being judged. I saw Kilties do it a few times with Syne. 

I liked the tag better in 79.  I like how Salzman slipped in a little Henry V with The Red Pony ending.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

They played it too #### slow in 79. It was like a funeral dirge. They were trying to avoid the long open roll being judged. I saw Kilties do it a few times with Syne. 

I liked the tag better in 79.  I like how Salzman slipped in a little Henry V with The Red Pony ending.  

Salzman knows his stuff. 

• Like 3

• 11 months later...
On 12/28/2022 at 8:53 PM, kevingamin said:

Christmas BUMP

• Like 2

On 12/28/2022 at 8:58 PM, Terri Schehr said:

But that roll never ticked.

I loved the '78 G-Men show almost as much as the '79 show, but good lord, that 1979 hornline and CG was great. 

Edited by TenHut
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TenHut said:

But that roll never ticked.

I loved the '78 G-Men show almost as much as the '79 show, but good lord, that 1979 hornline and CG was great. 

Honestly, we would have been that good in 1978 but we had seven people and a ham sandwich ($1 to Lee Rudnicki) showing up until about May.  It was a minor miracle that we pulled it together to place 11th.  We were three points over the Kilts in finals, too.  

I was told that those of us who stayed the course that winter, saved the corps. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 5

My favorite Guardsmen story. 1975 VFW State Prelims. Our corps was pretty good that year, but not quite Guardsmen good. We get back to the school after prelims and the corps director comes running up as the busses are unloading and screams "We beat the Guardsmen! We beat the Guardsmen!" The corps goes wild. Hugs everywhere. Then it dawns on me, how in the heck did we do that? 

Turns out, in the hot blazing sun of those afternoon prelims, the Drum GE Judge had passed out from heat exhaustion right before we went on. The other judges didn't know what to do, so they gave us a perfect 10.0 in Drum GE where we'd normally be about a 6.5. Needless to say, we got beat by them in Finals. 

Those whacky Guardsmen pumpkins in their Lincoln stove-top shakos were all really cool people, though and we got to be friends with many of them as we saw each other nearly every weekend in the early and mid 70s. Good people. 

• Like 2

On 12/28/2022 at 8:58 PM, Terri Schehr said:

Oh, another Guardsmen tale. 

The kid on the PBS broadcast video who was out of step in the opening notes of Greensleeves, Man oh man, the entire drum corps nation felt awful for that little fella. 

• Haha 1

Kudos to the Guardsmen for bringing such a memorable piece of music to the field. A shout out to Ms. Terri’s contribution to a great legacy. You all were awesome!

• Like 2