#DCI2023 rules proposal voting results

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

It was in late 1960s when at VFW, AL & other big contests Corps did shortened 8-min prelims shows.  Judging was mainly on execution. 

So, Madison read the rules carefully and has the entire Corps off the field in 2-min except 2 bass drums, who marked time for the next 6-min.  This led to a high execution score and Madison came in 12th, thus making finals.  Other Corps were p*sssed & wanted Madison DQ’d which they were, moving IC Reveries into 12th.  Them Madison successfully argued that they followed the rules & were put back in 12th, moving IC out of finals which led to the sit-in.  

Sister had a prof at her college in the 80s who was a IC member. He saw her wearing a corps shirt and they talked. Told her to ask if he was in the sit in. Week later she calls me “wth was the sit in!? I asked and his jaw dropped!”. 😳
No he aged out just before that year. Interesting that History of DC Vol II didn’t give details on either 27th or Scouts history. Knowing the whole story is 😳

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Tim K said:

I said I agreed with the placement, what I found unfair was that there was no penalty. 

Well they had to have enough on the field to meet the minimum which I think kicked in after the first 2 weeks

9 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

*respectfully snipped*

So, Madison read the rules carefully and has the entire Corps off the field in 2-min except 2 bass drums, who marked time for the next 6-min.  This led to a high execution score and Madison came in 12th, thus making finals.  Other Corps were p*sssed & wanted Madison DQ’d which they were, moving IC Reveries into 12th.  Them Madison successfully argued that they followed the rules & were put back in 12th, moving IC out of finals which led to the sit-in.  

So, what you're saying is, they "designed to the sheets"...? :peek:

Edited by gak27
grammar
  • Haha 3

On 1/8/2023 at 8:38 AM, waliman4444 said:

8 Minutes?...Isn't that like BOA ?..So the audience participant(me) will pay more for less(possibly)? So I guess the adjudicators will not penalize a corps for an 8 minute show vs. an 11 minute show of equal quality?Maybe it's me, but I always thought drum corps contests (shows) could evolve into even longer presentations...But I guess logistics and travel considerations prevent that...With an activity that can't guarantee that you will see a show (outdoors), giving fans more not less seems reasonable..Also, going to a show with only 4 or 5 corps is going to be rough if you have to travel more than 2 hours both ways..So FLO will become even more important(yikes)!!!..All the above is just the rambling of a senior citizen who loves drum corps..I defer to my learned DCPers who know the activity better.

I thought drumcorps shows used to be longer by a couple of minutes until they were shortened in the 1980's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

They were 13 but we had a concert section in the middle of the show. About three minutes.

Back in the days when DCA prelims and finals were on the same day it was a crap shoot if the concert would be played at Prelims. If a bunch of corps were at prelims then concert would be scrapped to save time. Still remember corps staff yelling “no concert” as we’d go in for prelims