#DCI2023 rules proposal voting results

45 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

I think I remember a corps named Iron Cross who scored an 11 at an early show in either Chattanooga or ATL.  I guess it would have been the early 80s. I just remember they were small & rough.  

Crossmen feeder corps…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MikeD said:

I once zeroed a corps in drums when I judged in the GSC in the late 70’s. I felt terrible…that I had failed them. Kids did not deserve zeroes IMO.

My first year with an Eastern States Circuit corps, 1971, one of the field brass judges zeroed out several corps, including us, at one show, while the other judge (in the old Side One/Side Two days) gave out scores that were basically in line with how we all performed that day.

From what I recall, that "zero judge" was never heard from again. 😂

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

For us it was like thank God, he's finally done loading up that score sheet with ticks. Did you see how full that thing was? Geesh. We'll be lucky to beat the St Mary's Cub Scout Cadet corps. 

The futility of the tick system. LOL.

1974, my Eastern States corps had three midrange players... myself, another French horn player, and a mellophone. One night those two had to miss a show, so I was all alone. For whatever reason, I had the worst show I had all season. Total gackfest. But on the brass sheets... zero midrange ticks. 😂 Where was that hearing-aid salesman when they needed him??? 

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

I still get chills when I listen to the early drum corps leaving the field to that double firing...As a performer it signaled the last opportunity to impress the crowd...And isn't that what we were there to do?..peace

Ahhhhh.  Those were the days when hearing gunshots was a good thing!  I remember being able to relax a little after hearing the shots and seeing the field judge raise their clipboards above their heads.  (I might be making that last part up...?  I think that happened).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Ahhhhh.  Those were the days when hearing gunshots was a good thing!  I remember being able to relax a little after hearing the shots and seeing the field judge raise their clipboards above their heads.  (I might be making that last part up...?  I think that happened).

It did happen..lol

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 11:49 PM, Jeff Ream said:

i can't remember the last time i saw a timing penalty in DCI unless someone took too long to set up their electronics

This post gives me PTSD.

Not DCI, but MBA (what BOA was called before they had some financial problems). 1980 Nationals they gave us a 1.6 point 'timing penalty' as we played pass and review (or some song like that) as we came off the field. That dropped us to second place, losing the title by .45. Strange that they didn't give us this penalty during prelims or at Regionals earlier in the year for doing the same thing.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Yes, it did for me. We were told to make it obvious that we heard the gun to stop execution judging. Lifting the clipboard was one way we did it. Depending on where we were on the field, it might not be easy to hear the gun, so the timing judges wanted to know for sure we heard the gun. They would run after judges who did not hear it and kept judging.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

My corps was inactive 1973 and for 1974 just wanted do prelims to show we were back. Ended up being invited to show week before DCA. We learned ending drill day of the show and tic marks reflected that. 
“well first half of show we know and tic sheet was kind of grey. The we got to second half and it went to black”. We scored 37 and legend had it would have been lower but judges ran out of room for tic marks.

ahhh Succasauna

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Didn't that happen to the Crossmen not too long ago, and almost cost them a finalist spot?

Of course, that was separate from the time they almost missed Finals due to the "warmup location violation" issue. LOL

may have been for electronics taking forever

i think in 16 BD got hit at quarters for timing due to electronics taking too long to boot up.

but for undertime, it's been decades

18 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

No, that just seems crazy in retrospect. I remember seeing a corps in 73 that got a total score of 7.7.  They’ll remain nameless.  And it was in September at the IDBCA show in Love Park AFTER DCI and VFW nationals. 

We were in a show where sort of the opposite happened.  There was a very young Corps in their first ever competition.  Judges were very kind & scored them in the 30s.  But then they gave inflated scores to the rest of the Corps as well.  We got something like an 84 - in early July- in the tick era.  Winning Corps (non DCI finalist) was in low 90s.  

The next show the young Corps wasn’t there & scores were back to normal.  

Edited by IllianaLancerContra