good/bad on controversial support

7 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Not holding my breath but trying to make this generic how corps could be affected… period. Please no examples…

So a corps gets a donation of money, equipment, use of facilities, you name it. The corps (like all corps) could use the support to help their budget. But the person, group, whatever is controversial for what ever reason. Options I see are:

1) turn down the donation and take a budget hit

2) accept the donation and release a statement saying they don’t agree or accept the concept of free speech about the controversial stuff

3) accept the donation, shut up and hope there isn’t a backlash.

Good side: corps gets donation to help the budget

Bad side: possible (no way to tell how big) backlash affects recruiting and donations

Anything missed or anything to add?

What about the Winter Guards and Indoor Percussion who may be getting a free or reduced cost practice site? Are they to refuse that if it is from someone (ex. catholic church) does not agree with ALL their members lifestyles?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

(The Warriors of Oshkosh, WI, had dual sponsorship from the Kiwanis Club and the YMCA, and thus identified themselves as the K-Y Warriors.)

So THAT’S where the K-Y came from!! Bought a bag of pinbacks years ago and had one of theirs. Never could figure it out 🤪

2 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

What about the Winter Guards and Indoor Percussion who may be getting a free or reduced cost practice site? Are they to refuse that if it is from someone (ex. catholic church) does not agree with ALL their members lifestyles?

Holy crap… an on topic post… 👍

good points

What do I think?  Thanks for asking.

I'm open to respectful discussion generally. 👍🏽

1.  First and foremost, I think there is a lot going on in modern non-profit management that I am not familiar with, judging from the points you bring forth.  So remember this as I continue. 

2.  Among those things, I tend to think of "donations" as sincere and private acts of charity.  The idea of that information being public to begin with, much less shared with other potential donors, is foreign to me.

There are examples out there of "donations" being presented as private acts of charity when they're anything but innocent. All good about public sharing. Again it depends on the donor/funder. Not everything is public, but it's best practice for NPs to search for values alignment.

3.  I guess what is really being discussed here is a special class of "donation" with accompanying publicity.  That strikes me as something different, more like sponsorships or endorsements. 

Sure, I'm speaking to sponsors, donors, and funders in a group in this thread because values alignment plays in all of these relationships. I haven't seen the need to differentiate yet in this thread.

In that case, the donor and recipient are being associated with one another, publicly and purposely.  And I could understand how other similar donors seeking a public relations (PR) benefit from their donations would want to know the portfolio of the recipient.

Of course, if the publicity is a mandatory part of the donation package, then I guess it is fair to say there is a string attached to that donation.

Donors and funders can be anonymous, to this point. Defeats the purpose with sponsors though. Strings attached vary widely. Some DCPers here are speaking to that. And strings attached are hardly always nefarious. They can be simple... but many NPs get run down for spending too much time on keep donors happy. That's one downside that keeps them clunky.

4.  The gun shop thing still bothers me, though. 

Just stating facts. NPs can accept and reject funds from anyone they want.

Before our time, all kinds of youth activities accepting charity were publicly sponsored by all sorts of businesses.  Some of them were types of businesses that do not evoke the imagery you want to hear while involved with your youth activity.  Nevertheless, there was a day when people probably did not flinch at their local youth group carrying the name of a perfectly respectable local mortuary, septic tank service, etc. as one of their sponsors.  (The Warriors of Oshkosh, WI, had dual sponsorship from the Kiwanis Club and the YMCA, and thus identified themselves as the K-Y Warriors.)

Right on. Again, donations to NPs can serve as an honest dialogue about values between the funder and the recipient. Indeed, a solid development professional knows this and can maneuver in this space expertly on behalf of the NP. It's the ideal

The optimist in me would like to think that this is just about imagery.  The pessimist in me thinks that the PR/donor class is playing a political chess game with their recipients as the pawns.

Trollolololol they are definitely playing chess. If NPs can't recognize their place in that game, they're already lost.

The handful or so that are this concerned with chick-fil- a here on DCP should  be aware that they should not do any Google searches … To do so contributes to a company ( Google ) that for years has knowingly accepted millions in advertising dollars from Chick-fil- a .  Chick-fil-a also gives upwards of  100 million dollars to TV stations that most people on here watch every day. So if the handful are bothered by donations and recipients , then shut off the TV and shut off your goggle search and the sports franchises , etc and the like , and be as pure as the driven snow on this money trail they want to be on with Corps dying left and right because they can’t can’t raise enough money to stay afloat  . 

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

The handful or so that are this concerned with chick-fil- a here on DCP should  be aware that they should not do any Google searches … To do so contributes to a company ( Google ) that for years has knowingly accepted millions in advertising dollars from Chick-fil- a .  They also give 100 million dollars to TV stations that most people on here watch every day. So if the handful are bothered by donations and recipients , then shut off the TV and shut off your goggle search and be pure as the driven snow. 

I’d say this was supposed to be a generic topic without going after BC or CFA. But I’d just be accused of lying as I really hate BC… or something

Edited by JimF-LowBari

8 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

Some would, some wouldn't. It depends on the leadership, mission/vision/values, and the already existing stability of their funding sources. If the org misses a values alignment, and it's pointed out to them, they sic their development pro on it help them adjust over time. Again, it's not about canceling, it's about mitigating risk.

1 minute ago, Boss Anova said:

The handful or so that are this concerned with chick-fil- a here on DCP should  be aware that they should not do any Google searches … To do so contributes to a company ( Google ) that for years has knowingly accepted millions in advertising dollars from Chick-fil- a .  They also give 100 million dollars to TV stations that most people on here watch every day. So if the handful are bothered by donations and recipients , then shut off the TV and shut off your goggle search and be pure as the driven snow. 

Teeheehee. I don't eat chicken; I use a different search engine or the Googs only when I'm protected behind a robust VPN and other privacy protections; and watch a projector instead of a TV. I don't pretend to be perfect, I simply try to align my actions with my values whenever possible, forgive myself when I fail to do so, and work to improve for next time.

Soooo, nice!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fsthnds said:

Guards pay a fortune. I have paid a fortune, especially when you think about money coming in. That's " IF " members pay as they should" Over the years winter programs have had the same issues some drum corps have had.

Anyone getting free today, even reduced I bow down to you...lol BUT I do see the point you are making.

DCI once had a corps selected , then featured , on a national TV ad that ran coast to coast on Kentucky Fried Chicken  food products . I think it was the Guardsmen from Illinois . Good for them. good payday , good exposure for the Corps , the marchers , and for DCI in general . Nobody got their undies in a bunch because the founder and owner might have had beliefs  the corps and DCI might not have agreed with at the time .  

Edited by Boss Anova