good/bad on controversial support

Just now, Boss Anova said:

DCI once had a corps selected , then featured , on a national TV ad that ran coast to coast on chick- fil- a  food products . I think it was the Guardsmen from Illinois . Good for them. good payday , good exposure for the Corps , the marchers , and for DCI in general . Nobody got their undies in a bunch because founder Truet Cathy , a self made women successful entrepreneur at a time when women had notorious glass ceilings ( 60’s/ 70’s ) might have had beliefs  the corps and DCI might not have agreed with at the time . 

Kentucky Fried Chicken and Colonel Sanders himself even made an appearance. I remember that commercial (yeah I’m old) but I don’t remember any controversy with KFC. 🤷🏻

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Kentucky Fried Chicken and Colonel Sanders himself even made an appearance. I remember that commercial (yeah I’m old) but I don’t remember any controversy with KFC. 🤷🏻

Well don’t use google , but there sure as heck was accusations of racism leveled at the founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken . Use another search engine besides google and read up on it . Didn’t stop the DCI corps and DCI itself at the time from soliciting donor dollars ( and receiving donor dollars ) from this Corporate Food Products Co . 
 DCI needs every dollar it can find . Looking for purity in money receipts from all donors  is a recipe for this niche activitiy’s oblivion in these financial times , imo . 
Bottom line , DCI Corps are not actively soliciting donors with dubious reputations . We say this in the context too that DCI itself has suffered loss of donors and long time financial supporters because of its own dubious brand damage caused by “ controversial “ people “ it has harbored for years and years and as drivers of the DCI brand .

Edited by Boss Anova

Who has their undies in a bunch? Gross. Y'all are the ones that keep bringing up specifics. Also, times are different now, and in many ways: thank goodness.

What about any corps and their potential or past fast food funders? Forget CFA for a moment please for a thought experiment. Would anyone recommend eating fast food to support the rigor of a drum corps summer? Probs not. But it's it potentially good money that may be sorely needed? Probably.

For the umpteenth time it's not about canceling or turning away funders outright, especially when finances are tight. It's about mitigating risk over time and slowly phasing out funders that are less aligned.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Who has their undies in a bunch? Gross. Y'all are the ones that keep bringing up specifics. Also, times are different now, and in many ways: thank goodness.

What about any corps and their potential or past fast food funders? Forget CFA for a moment please for a thought experiment. Would anyone recommend eating fast food to support the rigor of a drum corps summer? Probs not. But it's it potentially good money that may be sorely needed? Probably.

For the umpteenth time it's not about canceling or turning away funders outright, especially when finances are tight. It's about mitigating risk over time and slowly phasing out funders that are less aligned.

Ahhhh  WEll a question can also be IF a sponsor knew of the diversity within an organization would " THEY" donate. I have seen that in several states, especially lately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

. Didn’t stop the DCI corps and DCI itself at the time from soliciting donor dollars ( and receiving donor dollars ) from this Corporate Food Products Co .

Did I say the any corps or DCI was wrong for how they handle donations? Answer is no I never did. So why do you keep posting like I did? 
Done responding to things that are not true…. Goodbye 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Not holding my breath but trying to make this generic how corps could be affected… period. Please no examples…

So a corps gets a donation of money, equipment, use of facilities, you name it. The corps (like all corps) could use the support to help their budget. But the person, group, whatever is controversial for what ever reason. Options I see are:

1) turn down the donation and take a budget hit

2) accept the donation and release a statement saying they don’t agree or accept the concept of free speech about the controversial stuff

3) accept the donation, shut up and hope there isn’t a backlash.

Good side: corps gets donation to help the budget

Bad side: possible (no way to tell how big) backlash affects recruiting and donations

Anything missed or anything to add?

Original post as things have gone off the track. Notice no corps is named…

7 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Ahhhh  WEll a question can also be IF a sponsor knew of the diversity within an organization would " THEY" donate. I have seen that in several states, especially lately.

It is DCI itself that is attempting to regroup and rebrand itself due to the loss of long time sponsors ,  school facilities , and access to youth groups , etc and the like due to having highly dubious and “ controversial “ people of low character involved in DCI Drum Corps . We are not in a position to sit in any high and mighty position of looking at donors , when the bigger  issue is cleaning up our own house from the mess created by others we had running things for decades . 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

It is DCI itself that is attempting to regroup and rebrand itself due to the loss of long time sponsors ,  school facilities , and access to youth groups , etc and the like due to having highly dubious and “ controversial “ people of low character involved in DCI Drum Corps . We are not in a position to sit in any high and mighty position of looking at donors , when the bigger  issue is cleaning up our own house from the mess created by others we had running things for decades . 

You can't do one or the other. You have to do your best at both for reform to be thorough.