I was the Board Treasure for SCV for 6 years

2 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Also, for those of you who don't know what the "liabilities-to-assets ratio" means... a ratio of 50% means you have $2 of assets for every $1 of liabilities (debts or payables).  In the Cavies case, they have $2.06 of debt for every $1 of assets, which is unfathomable.

tenor.gif

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

In the Cavies case, they have $2.06 of debt for every $1 of assets, which is unfathomable.

There’s something not to mention in the recruiting documentation. 😳

• Haha 5

13 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

I use Charity Navigator to check up on non-profits.  According to their records, VMAPA has never had an audit done.  They scored 80/80 pts on accountability and finance, but the missing 20 points was no record of an audit.  If you have total revenue over $1 million, you are expected to conduct annual audits.  Quite a few drum corps NP's don't conduct audits as it turns out... which may change based on what happens in Santa Clara.

I use Charity Navigator as well, but always take everything reported there with a grain of salt.  For example, to the average person using the tool... Pioneer looks like a great organization to contribute to with a 85/100 score! 

That said, the areas where they lost points quite honestly are a great indicator of why the organization lost DCI membership (missing conflict of interest policy, missing whistleblower policy, and missing document retention/destruction policy...).

• Like 2

Y'know the most shocking thing about all this?

SCV didn't take the "traditional" path to ceasing operations like so many others have -- gradually falling down the rankings until they fell out of finals and the closing the doors (27th, Bridgemen Suncoast, Freelancers, Sky Ryders, Magic,VK, etc)

They were in the top 5 since 2012, including a championship, then boom, gone.  

SCVC?   How many orgs folded a unit the year after that unit WON??

Talk about a house of cards collapsing.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

Y'know the most shocking thing about all this?

SCV didn't take the "traditional" path to ceasing operations like so many others have -- gradually falling down the rankings until they fell out of finals and the closing the doors (27th, Bridgemen Suncoast, Freelancers, Sky Ryders, Magic,VK, etc)

They were in the top 5 since 2012, including a championship, then boom, gone.  

SCVC?   How many orgs folded a unit the year after that unit WON??

Talk about a house of cards collapsing.

As much as I do not want to see SCV go away, and I don't, I think they need to be commended for NOT doing like many others have. How many corps have we seen not finish a season. not have money or resources to feed their corps on tour, beg other corps for help and one can go on and on. Hoping they make a comeback.at some point.

• Like 3

On 1/20/2023 at 2:05 PM, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Also, for those of you who don't know what the "liabilities-to-assets ratio" means... a ratio of 50% means you have $2 of assets for every $1 of liabilities (debts or payables).  In the Cavies case, they have $2.06 of debt for every $1 of assets, which is unfathomable.

Being a total novice here with this stuff... does this mean the Cavies might be the next candidate to turn out the lights,  for at least a while? 

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Being a total novice here with this stuff... does this mean the Cavies might be the next candidate to turn out the lights,  for at least a while? 

Possibility if the numbers are 6/7 digits. 

12 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Doesn't Rosemont give them a LOT of money though?

18 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Doesn't Rosemont give them a LOT of money though?

Not sure what the situation in Rosemont is these days. The former mayor, Don Stephens, was a huge supporter of the Cavies and got village dollars behind them BITD. As for long term support? Who knows?