How Does the Activity Expect to Survive.

Look, it's a loaded title, but this is a genuine question. 

This is the second year in a row that i have been forced to quit my DCI journey because of one simple thing: it is completely unaffordable for most common people. last year I auditioned for The Battalion, had to quit after the first audition camp after hearing tuition prices. this year it was even worse. I attempted a Bloo audition, forced to quit because of travel cost. Tried with Btal again, come to find tuition is around 4 grand. Forced to quit. 

So this is my genuine question; How on earth does this activity expect to continue existing when year after year it becomes increasingly unaffordable for willing marchers. These costs are unsustainable and this is not a new issue, it has been around for years. 

• Like 3

Another heartbreaking story. I remember you posting during last year's Open Class Finals about your dreams, aspirations of marching and how proud you were of The Battalion. Please don't give up your passion for the activity. Stay involved somehow. Drum corps needs people like you. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ashontheinternet said:

This is the second year in a row that i have been forced to quit my DCI journey because of one simple thing: it is completely unaffordable for most common people. last year I auditioned for The Battalion, had to quit after the first audition camp after hearing tuition prices. this year it was even worse. I attempted a Bloo audition, forced to quit because of travel cost. Tried with Btal again, come to find tuition is around 4 grand. Forced to quit. 

So this is my genuine question; How on earth does this activity expect to continue existing when year after year it becomes increasingly unaffordable for willing marchers. These costs are unsustainable and this is not a new issue, it has been around for years. 

Drum Corps has become a 'resume box check' for future music/movement educators (some of whom will morph into pageantry leeches ($0.02 to Poppycock)).

Rant on:

I still am in touch with many who I marched with.  Out of ~50 members, we have only 2 who became music educators/band directors.  We also have 2 college professors, 2 military officers, several who work in tech, some in financial world, an Alaska crab fisherman, business owners, government employees, and  Catholic Priest (no one saw that coming in 1983).   Drum Corps positively shaped our lives, and if you expand this to all the small 1980s Corps, I think it made society better as well.  For better or worse, Drum Corps has turned into the marching arts version of a summer football camp, people who want to perform at the next level will pay to do it.  

Rant off:  

So, now to address your dilemma:  Several ideas:  (1) Ask Battalion if they have programs available to help with tuition. (2a)  Get a job & save every dime between now & April/May. (2b) When Corps start advertising that they need members in this section or that, and are willing to reduce tuition, pounce.  IDK if DCI is running the 'Fill Every Corps' thing this year, but this may be useful as well.

Keep in mind that to have the Drum Corps experience you don't need to be in a DCI finalist.  

Edit:  If you go route 2, be flexible.  IDK what you play (or spin), but of Corps needs mellos & you play trumpet, offer your services.  If you play snare, consider a position in the pit or on tenor/bass.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
further pontification
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Ashontheinternet said:

The activity for sure has become difficult for an average person to shell out so much BUT where can one get instruction for several months, housing, transportation, food etc for the price. You can't. Now I know it doesn't make it easier to know that and that some activities can be as bad if not worse. The best I can say is work, find creative ways to get sponsors, work, save in advance, work, plan ahead, work, look for corps with a scholarship program, did I mention work? If you auditioned for Battalion then went over to Bloo, did you think it would be less? No. Every year the cost of running a drum corps or even a winter program just gets higher and higher unfortunately. That is the reality of the activity today. The good or bad of that.  Good Luck to you

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 3

Keep in mind, 20 years ago the expected member marched 3-5 seasons.   Now most march 1 or 2.  

Also keep in mind, (some) drum corps have shown that they CAN find revenue which could decrease costs but choose not to, because they can still fill their ranks without concern.  Thus having more operations cash, as well as full ranks.  

Also, if you want to fill a hole, and don't care where you go, there WILL be open spots in may and june.  Feel free to bargain.  You won't be the first to do so, and you wont be the last. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

The activity for sure has become difficult for an average person to shell out so much BUT where can one get instruction for several months, housing, transportation, food etc for the price. You can't. Now I know it doesn't make it easier to know that and that some activities can be as bad if not worse. The best I can say is work, find creative ways to get sponsors, work, save in advance, work, plan ahead, work, look for corps with a scholarship program, did I mention work? If you auditioned for Battalion then went over to Bloo, did you think it would be less? No. Every year the cost of running a drum corps or even a winter program just gets higher and higher unfortunately. That is the reality of the activity today. The good or bad of that.  Good Luck to you

Nothing costs what it did even 5 years ago. While I hate drum corps costs more too, if it stayed at the cost from 5 years ago it’d be dead

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Nothing costs what it did even 5 years ago. While I hate drum corps costs more too, if it stayed at the cost from 5 years ago it’d be dead

it would be a 5 show season.  woof. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MikeN said:

While the relative cost for services may make DCI a value, doesn't matter if you can't afford the absolute cost.  

Mike

That is so true and then like we all do , choices have to be made. Doing any part of the activity today is certainly something not to be taken lightly. The other side of this also is, many programs, winter and summer have gone under because when some need recruitment they take anyone promising to pay , then don't. Another reality which programs learned the hard way.