How Does the Activity Expect to Survive.

On 1/21/2023 at 8:26 PM, greg_orangecounty said:

And miss the stirring flute trill company front...!?  No way!

🙂

A few years ago I took my daughter (who was interested in playing the flute) to the local HS football game, just to see their national championship band.  (The whole staff were also on staff with Cavies)  What I witnessed closed the door on HS band to me forever.  Only half the band was required to attend the game, half of the band was colorguard, and their show featured a 2 minute flute solo and lots of teens trying to dance who had no clue what they were doing.  I looked out at the field and asked some parents near me, "What the hell is this?"  They just shrugged and said this is the kind of stuff they did.  Bad dancing and flute solos... yeah, THAT's the future of DCI.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

A few years ago I took my daughter (who was interested in playing the flute) to the local HS football game, just to see their national championship band.  (The whole staff were also on staff with Cavies)  What I witnessed closed the door on HS band to me forever.  Only half the band was required to attend the game, half of the band was colorguard, and their show featured a 2 minute flute solo and lots of teens trying to dance who had no clue what they were doing.  I looked out at the field and asked some parents near me, "What the hell is this?"  They just shrugged and said this is the kind of stuff they did.  Bad dancing and flute solos... yeah, THAT's the future of DCI.

Flutes are wonderful-beautiful sounding instruments and they don't belong on the field in the context of what is traditionally known the past 100 years as "Drum Corps".  A little amplified solo in the Pit.................?  I..... guess, if you absolutely must.

(and before anyone wants to remind me about drum and fife corps of which modern Drum Corps has its roots, yes, I know).

Doesn't matter  🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Which show is this? Johnsonburg?? Very little about shows at DCI site except big shows for the big corps. 🙄

my last tour in OC actually had really good crowds at all the shows.  

i do enjoy hearing the crowd in the stands tell me "they enjoyed open class more due to the lack of crap all over the field"

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 1

1.  This was 40 years ago, but concert band was what you did after marching season to stay out of other classes
  2.  The marching band performing at halftime of the football game was the reason there was a band program
  3.  We practiced 2 hours a day M-H, played at the game Friday, and went to ONE competition in the fall on a Saturday
  4.  We had a spring trip to compete somewhere near a beach, doing parade, concert, field (sometimes)

Parkview HS in Gwinnett county 15 years ago was the first time I had ever heard of a school having two marching bands: one to play for football games and one just to compete.  Kids could be on both, but a lot weren't.

Summer band was for the upper classmen who couldn't stay away from the band room and the incoming freshmen to get acclimated to marching band.  It lasted a week and was close to band camp, which was the first week in August.  Most kids had summer jobs or their families spent half the summer on vacation.

My point is:  I just don't see getting high schools involved as being a serious way to augment DCI's status.  Most corps only have a handful of HS kids marching anyway.  Maybe that's the real problem... DCI has become all about the college music majors and the instructors who used to be them.  They've redesigned the shows to where normal high school band members, even the great ones, have little chance of succeeding.

21 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

my last tour in OC actually had really good crowds at all the shows.  

i do enjoy hearing the crowd in the stands tell me "they enjoyed open class more due to the lack of crap all over the field"

Always enjoyed smaller Class A DCA corps shows more than full size corps that had everything including the kitchen sink. Comes from my lesser Sr circuit days where corps had to work with their shortcomings. “Oh very few low brass… is upper brass going to hold back a bit for better blend… or.. 😱

Edited by JimF-LowBari

22 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well lets be honest...look at where the OC shows are. how are you going to draw huge crowds to the NWPA show? there's more elk there than people. Erie is the closest city, and that's #### near close to 2 hours away. the majority of the population of PA is 4 or more hours away. Same for many other places OC shows are run

There is an OC show this summer In Richmond Virginia.   About an hour from house.  I plan to go. 

As a former member of a small Corps, I enjoy watching Corps where the members are confident enough to perform without needing 100 additional members backing them up. 

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 3

I guess I am lucky. The high school marching band that I am the assistant director of doesn't do football games....ever. We only do band competitions. And, I've heard that some hs bands now charge exorbitant fees. My band charges no fees and in fact even provides the kids their band jackets, which they keep.

On 1/21/2023 at 6:26 PM, greg_orangecounty said:

And miss the stirring flute trill company front...!?  No way!

🙂

This group of 8th-12th grade kids kicks butt in execution.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craiga said:

I guess I am lucky. The high school marching band that I am the assistant director of doesn't do football games....ever. We only do band competitions. And, I've heard that some hs bands now charge exorbitant fees. My band charges no fees and in fact even provides the kids their band jackets, which they keep.

Wait ....SoPo doesn't do football games EVER?! Amazing....well done!

Edited by Jim Alberty
mis-placed text
  • Thanks 1