How Does the Activity Expect to Survive.

I never realized how lucky I was when I marched Star.  Bloomington was a 2 hour drive away, there were 10 camps, and each camp cost $20. I had to get there and pay $200. That was it.

It's a real shame that other corps were unable to attract benefactors like Bill Cook and/or have good businessmen directors like Jim Mason.  We were so lucky.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, slabbit said:

I never realized how lucky I was when I marched Star.  Bloomington was a 2 hour drive away, there were 10 camps, and each camp cost $20. I had to get there and pay $200. That was it.

It's a real shame that other corps were unable to attract benefactors like Bill Cook and/or have good businessmen directors like Jim Mason.  We were so lucky.

It's not that other corps couldn't attract those folks... they never tried.  Bill Cook disturbed the "good ole' boys" network that DCI had going and they didn't want money with strings attached.  Those people might expect them to give up overpaid positions and QFTK.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

It's not that other corps couldn't attract those folks... they never tried.  Bill Cook disturbed the "good ole' boys" network that DCI had going and they didn't want money with strings attached.  Those people might expect them to give up overpaid positions and QFTK.

The Troopers were created by Jim Jones, another wealthy guy, in the late 50's and onward.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2023 at 7:20 PM, MikeD said:

The Troopers were created by Jim Jones, another wealthy guy, in the late 50's and onward.

Mr. Jones made it a point NOT to put his own money into the corps. 

1 hour ago, Amil Muzz said:

Mr. Jones made it a point NOT to put his own money into the corps. 

"Never put your own money in the show!": The Producers

• Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 3:21 PM, phd-student-TTU said:

If DCI makes it another 5 years, I’ll be surprised. 

I predicted 2010, give or take. Crowds were getting smaller, corps were folding. There were rumors of financial problems with corps. I thought 2008 might be the last glory year. About 2011 numbers began to improve at shows. Many corps had more appealing shows. Crowds kept growing, enthusiasm was on the rise. New Open Class corps made things interesting. Two corps in WC won the title for the first time. I think I was wrong. Five years is five years away. You never know what will happen.