How Does the Activity Expect to Survive.

3 hours ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

Because even if you cut 100% of something that's only 10% of your expenditures (thus drastically lowering the quality of your product), you're still not making an appreciable difference. 

Okay, then.  By that attitude, controlling costs is off the table, and we should just tell the OP and any other prospective marchers to stop complaining about what it costs to march. 

Better yet, call it a revenue issue instead of a cost issue.  Never mind how much it costs.  People who cannot afford to march have a "revenue problem".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

This is true, and I, for one, would be curious how the afford to do it.  Why do they seem to have their house in order when another Corps, just down the road, is a dumpster fire? 

It all depends who's running the show and how strict they are with the checkbook.

Wanna know how Alabama and Georgia always have a Top 3 recruiting class in football?  They spend over $5 million on recruiting.  But they have a budget that allows for that and expects that.  Other schools whine about the money spent recruiting HS talent, but they fritter away $$$ left and right until they don't have anything left to work with.  I think we're seeing that SCV made 1 year of poor decisions financially and now they're inactive.  Likewise, lots of colleges had to cut non-revenue generating sports (tennis, wrestling, golf, etc...) because the well ran dry in football and men's basketball.

A lot of people bet big on crypto... and went bankrupt.  Just like the rest of the US, drum corps has organizations that know how to handle operations, and some that don't.

3 hours ago, mjoakes said:

Google results tell me that's about $1,459 in today's dollars. Not trivial.

Memory is really hazy, but it seems to me I needed something like $800 for everything all summer - fees, travel, food, misc. expenses. Plus, and again, not earning any money through summer jobs, which helped pay for college. Whatever amount it was, memory is not hazy that it seemed impossibly out-of-reach.

You’re right.  That was just my fees to the Guardsmen.  I lost work at my job because we went on two tours that year.  One in early July and the August one, of course. Driving to Schaumburg every weeknight. I don’t know how much all that cost. I lived 30 miles away from Schaumburg. 

Edited by Terri Schehr

2 hours ago, GBugler said:

My dues ranged from $200 (Star) to $800 (Crown) in the years I marched, from 1990-1994. I used financial aid refunds and work income to pay each year's tuition. I was able to work enough to live at home and march without having to worry about $$$ on tour. I was lucky.

I believe my son’s were $1500 in 2007 with a discount for nine seasons in the Madison organization. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

You’re right.  That was just my fees to the Guardsmen.  I lost work at my job because we went on two tours that year.  One in early July and the August one, of course. Driving to Schaumburg very weeknight. I don’t know how much all that cost. I lived 30 miles away from Schaumburg. 

Norwood Park was $7 a month in 1972 and 73. $84 a year. So in five years,  it went up considerably. 

16 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Some props cost more than other props.   The prop Mandarins used last summer was probably on the higher end, and probably required a truck of its own (which leads to increase in transportation, fuel, and food).  Blue Stars, Colts, & Troopers also seemed to have props that took up a lot of transportation space.  On the other hand, BAC & Cadets props were more modest - I think BAC’s cones could be stacked for easier transport.  

People say ‘It isn’t props & electronics that are driving costs'.  Which to some extent is true (more for some Corps than others).  But hauling all over the country costs $.  If a Corps could go from renting 10 vehicles (busses + semis) to 9 vehicles I would think it would cost less to rent, and I’m pretty certain that filling up 9 vehicles with fuel costs less than filling 10 vehicles with fuel.  

True but selling them gets cash back which minimizes the cost

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Still have to haul them around, which impacts bot vehicle costs & fuel costs. 

it does yes. however i doubt it's a budget killer

15 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

it does yes. however i doubt it's a budget killer

But if you add up the non-budget killers maybe you get to a 5-10-15% savings?   On a $1M budget, which is on the low side 5% = $50,000 that could be spent on something urgent or saved for the next season.  

• Like 1