How Does the Activity Expect to Survive.

8 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

But if you add up the non-budget killers maybe you get to a 5-10-15% savings?   On a $1M budget, which is on the low side 5% = $50,000 that could be spent on something urgent or saved for the next season.  

again not disagreeing. but it's not the end of the world scenario some on here continue to claim despite great financial knowledge being presented.

and has been said many times, grant writing needs explored and diversifying revenue as well.

• Like 1

The activity is going to survive. I think what's often being considered here on DCP is whether that survival is of a form that any particular poster likes.

• Like 2

Just now, mjoakes said:

The activity is going to survive. I think what's often being considered here on DCP is whether that survival is of a form that any particular poster likes.

Agree - I think that if nothing else it will survive as some sort of WGI w/ brass & percussion on basketball court.   But maybe not on football finals w/ 150 members per unit.  

• Like 3

17 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

But if you add up the non-budget killers maybe you get to a 5-10-15% savings?   On a $1M budget, which is on the low side 5% = $50,000 that could be spent on something urgent or saved for the next season.  

Or to say it another way, based on DCP feedback so far:

Potential cost savings on food/fuel/housing/insurance: $0

Potential cost savings on smaller budget items: $50,000

• Like 3

Trying to solve the cost problem on the backs of props and uniforms and front-ensemble equipment is like trying to balance the federal budget on the backs of foreign aid and ethanol subsidies -- politically potent moves, but financially meaningless. The big timber is in transfer payments -- Medicaid, Medicare, etc. In DCI, the timber is the housing, feeding and moving of 200 people across 4 times zones in the span of 10 weeks. It's the tour model. 

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Trying to solve the cost problem on the backs of props and uniforms and front-ensemble equipment is like trying to balance the federal budget on the backs of foreign aid and ethanol subsidies -- politically potent moves, but financially meaningless. The big timber is in transfer payments -- Medicaid, Medicare, etc. In DCI, the timber is the housing, feeding and moving of 200 people across 4 times zones in the span of 10 weeks. It's the tour model. 

Agree.

But, it is still true that a penny saved is a penny earned. 

And as this saying (attributed to Ben Franklin) is from the 1770s, I checked; a penny in 1776 would be worth $3.86 today.

2muchcoffeeman has it right, I think.

"It's the tour model."

Staff Bloat is also a major factor, particularly if they are flown in and out for a couple of tour days at a time, provided rental vehicles, and housed in hotels.

A corps really can get by quite nicely with fewer than 7 or 8 brass techs, for instance.

There will be (and have been) layoffs, but that will make some very fine teaching talent available for corps further down the food chain.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ironlips said:

2muchcoffeeman has it right, I think.

"It's the tour model."

Staff Bloat is also a major factor, particularly if they are flown in and out for a couple of tour days at a time, provided rental vehicles, and housed in hotels.

A corps really can get by quite nicely with fewer than 7 or 8 brass techs, for instance.

There will be (and have been) layoffs, but that will make some very fine teaching talent available for corps further down the food chain.

When I last checked, SCV had over 100 staff members.  That was for the '22 season.  No bingo personnel included, just instructors/techs and admin for the corps.

27 minutes ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

When I last checked, SCV had over 100 staff members.  That was for the '22 season.  No bingo personnel included, just instructors/techs and admin for the corps.

Just the A corps or both?

9 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Agree - I think that if nothing else it will survive as some sort of WGI w/ brass & percussion on basketball court.   But maybe not on football finals w/ 150 members per unit.  

That possibility might see many DCI fans walk away from the activity, especially if the new version moves indoors.

• Like 2