DCA competing in DCI

In 2004 I was able to attend combined DCA/DCI show in Hershey PA.  I recall CorpsVets, Cabs, Bucs, Brigs, as well as Cascades, Capitol Regiment, Crossmen, Madison, BD & SCV (featuring DCP's own Scheherazadesghost), with USMC D&BC as an exhibition.  One of the top-5 shows I have attended.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

In 2004 I was able to attend combined DCA/DCI show in Hershey PA.  I recall CorpsVets, Cabs, Bucs, Brigs, as well as Cascades, Capitol Regiment, Crossmen, Madison, BD & SCV (featuring DCP's own Scheherazadesghost), with USMC D&BC as an exhibition.  One of the top-5 shows I have attended.

Might have been there in the stands also. Grew up about 10 miles away and saw my first show (DCA) there in 1974. Been in that stadium so many times for DC, band shows, HS football and concerts (Springsteen, Billy Joel, 4 Tops/Temptations, etc etc) it’s like a homecoming.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:
41 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Might have been there in the stands also. Grew up about 10 miles away and saw my first show (DCA) there in 1974. Been in that stadium so many times for DC, band shows, HS football and concerts (Springsteen, Billy Joel, 4 Tops/Temptations, etc etc) it’s like a homecoming.

giphy.gif

I have fond memories of Hersey. It was certainly a great place to cool down after the dog days between Texas and the true south. We stayed at some truly beautiful, inspiring rehearsal sites. And Hersey was my first exposure to the delightful, local accent with "y'uns" at the urgent care, after trying to explain why I was in town. I loved the shows like that with their diversity of corps. There was always something special buzzing in the air and we worked harder for those audiences in a different way than say, Denver or SA. Shows like that definitely had homeshow energy, even for us.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

giphy.gif

I have fond memories of Hersey. It was certainly a great place to cool down after the dog days between Texas and the true south. We stayed at some truly beautiful, inspiring rehearsal sites. And Hersey was my first exposure to the delightful, local accent with "y'uns" at the urgent care, after trying to explain why I was in town. I loved the shows like that with their diversity of corps. There was always something special buzzing in the air and we worked harder for those audiences in a different way than say, Denver or SA. Shows like that definitely had homeshow energy, even for us.

Place has an interesting DC history (well I’m biased 😆). Local American Legion corps later named Chocolatiers started late 1920s. Had Senior show for years from late 1940s until ??? (I lost track) that the Chocolatiers ran. Had championships there in 1950s for a Sr circuit and DCA 3 times. 
Different group ran the Jr/Sr show until stadium owners pulled a crap move. Owners would never sign a contract for use of the stadium. That way if they got a better offer for that date they would cancel the verbal agreement. Events even bigger than the corps show were treated like that. Well the owners had a chance to host a pop show with 20,000 attendance same night as corps show. So guess who got told no DC show that night. After seeing that no corps organizations want to deal with the owners

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

giphy.gif

Speaking of something in the air - there is the aroma of chocolate (literally) as well

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

That Hershey show was great. Run by Larry Hershman and his Five Star Brass crew, with a solid DCI/DCA lineup.

I had the privilege of announcing that show from 1992 through its final year in 2005. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

1 hour ago, scheherazadesghost said:

giphy.gif

10 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

That Hershey show was great. Run by Larry Hershman and his Five Star Brass crew, with a solid DCI/DCA lineup.

I had the privilege of announcing that show from 1992 through its final year in 2005. 

With all of us being there we should have had some sort of preemptive reunion.. 😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Speaking of something in the air - there is the aroma of chocolate (literally) as well

Billy Joel mentioned it at his outdoor concert. “I’m getting hungry man”. Stage was set behind the goal line to left of audience.

Even Danish pianist/comedian Victor Borge did a bit on it at beginning on his concert in Hershey Theater (few blocks from stadium). The “Great Dane” walked out and exhaled white smoke (probably cigarette smoke). Smirked and said “hot chocolate “. 😆

Edited by JimF-LowBari

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Used to be a combination DCA/DCI  (Cabs/Cadets were the "hosts" corps) show at Giants Stadium.

Also saw a couple of combined DCI/DCA shows at Montclair State University.

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Like 1

There's a lot of hair flippin' booty shakin' going on in this thread. Reminds me of some bars I used to hang.....well, nevermind. 

Cover your eyes, @Hook'emCavies

• Haha 1