DCA competing in DCI

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

Beyonce's famous ponytail flip.  Her ponytail has it's own choreography!  

Irony is I posted about Hershey corps show losing the stadium to a pop concert… it was part of the the Destinys Child reunion tour. 😱

• Like 2

12 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

In 2004 I was able to attend combined DCA/DCI show in Hershey PA.  I recall CorpsVets, Cabs, Bucs, Brigs, as well as Cascades, Capitol Regiment, Crossmen, Madison, BD & SCV (featuring DCP's own Scheherazadesghost), with USMC D&BC as an exhibition.  One of the top-5 shows I have attended.

only time BD and SCV attended it. that year it was right after Allentown, and thats how we got them West Coast corps.

most years it was a joint show, it most of the bigger names in DCA at the time, and the east coast DCI corps...Cadets, Spirit, Crossmen, Magic or Suncoast, Boston, Bloo...and many times a visiting midwest team like Star.

and almost always the Marines.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Place has an interesting DC history (well I’m biased 😆). Local American Legion corps later named Chocolatiers started late 1920s. Had Senior show for years from late 1940s until ??? (I lost track) that the Chocolatiers ran. Had championships there in 1950s for a Sr circuit and DCA 3 times. 
Different group ran the Jr/Sr show until stadium owners pulled a crap move. Owners would never sign a contract for use of the stadium. That way if they got a better offer for that date they would cancel the verbal agreement. Events even bigger than the corps show were treated like that. Well the owners had a chance to host a pop show with 20,000 attendance same night as corps show. So guess who got told no DC show that night. After seeing that no corps organizations want to deal with the owners

Chocolatiers ran it til the early 80's, then the Hershey legion and Lower Dauphin boosters ran it til Five Star Brass took over around 84 or 85. 04 was the last one...05 was the year Herco bailed, and the lawsuit and court case ( which I attended.) YEA ran a show there a time or 2 also. i believe it was 2000 with no show due to the turf being put in. 96 was all DCA, 97 was all DCI..in DCE championships. for the first few years 5 star ran it, it was DCA with a DCI corps or 2 in exhibition til it became both. there may have been other years it was just DCI too...pretty sure 89 was Westshore in exhibition and all DCI corps.

TOB has had championships there since 09, and Cavalcade of Bands all but a few years since the late 70's. USBands ran some stuff there too. the stories that parking lot could tell......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and almost always the Marines.

One of the coolest things during my PA announcing days was getting a chance to read the Marines' writeup at that Hershey show and at the Cumberland, MD, DCA show. 

My friend Alex Duff was the drum corps' public affairs officer, and he liked my work (one of three people who did 😂)... so he let me do the gig instead of the usual "Marine voice" the corps used. Quite an honor! 

• Like 1