DCA competing in DCI

2 hours ago, TOC said:

https://www.fromthepressbox.com/2022season

I counted 10 DCA open/world class shows with three being virtual.  Then the two for finals.

Ok, so there were 10 shows in total. None of the corps did all 10, I suspect. My guess would be 5 or 6 max for any given unit, excluding Championships.

Edited by ironlips

4 hours ago, TOC said:

How many shows do most DCA corps do now compared to your idea?

depends on location. in the NE there's generally 1-2 shows running a weekend most years. South or Midwest there's maybe 2-3 all season not counting performing at DCI shows

Edited by Jeff Ream

On 1/27/2023 at 6:58 PM, Terri Schehr said:

You should see a picture of the Hamm’s indians from Minneapolis. And there was a corps called Satan’s Angels from Bellefontaine, Ohio. 

Though they were not from the Midwest, there’s also my favorite corps I never saw: the Jolly Jesters! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

There were also the Gay Blades in late 50s-early 60s. 

George Washington Carver Gay Blades. An all Black corps which somehow the “ethnic” corps barely get a mention (outside of Mandarins in the past)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

There were also the Gay Blades in the 50s-early 60s. 

The George Washington Carver Gay Blades!!! A senior corps from Newark, NJ. 

The Long Island Sunrisers DCA corps picked up several Gay Blades members in the mid-1960s.

Quite frankly, there were not many options for African-Americans to join a senior corps in the NYC area in that era. The Gay Blades were majority if not entirely Black, and the Sunrisers and NY Skyliners were integrated. 

Two of the Gay Blades who joined Sun... color guard captain and, later, visual designer and caption head Gene Bennett, and quartermaster/goodwill ambassador Alfred "Uncle Nick" Nichols... have been inducted into the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame. We in Sun were lucky to have them on board! Gene's visual shows, circa mid to late 1970s, were several years ahead of the curve in DCA. 

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Thanks 2

On 1/24/2023 at 6:40 PM, C.Holland said:

Drum corps Midwest used to have DCA groups in their shows.  Some shows out east have a few DCA groups there.  I think you need to time it right for the weekend to make it beneficial. 

For sure. But if judges can adjudicate on both Open and World class sheets at a show, they can probably also adjudicate on DCA sheets. Especially if they do the myriad indoor and marching band circuits. If the governing bodies do it right, it could grow the audience for both aspects of the activity.

18 hours ago, ironlips said:

I'm not sure. I tried to consult the DCA website, but it seems to be down at present.

I suppose they could do non-judged shows in July or other appearances as a run-up to the competition schedule I suggested but, much as this makes sense to me, I doubt there will be any serious consideration of this scheme.

This is just theoretical, hot-stove-league chatter on my part anyway.

And that chatter makes sense, to me at least.

To be absolutely honest... there are several DCA corps that are not close to having a finished product on the field well into July. NOT denigrating those corps.... it gets tougher every year to keep their corps alive, and I salute their efforts... but just stating a sign of the times, I guess. 

Not sure the early-season show sponsors and, yes, the fans, are getting their money's worth, in total. 

But hey... I'm just a blast from the past spitballin' here. So whatever. 🙂

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 2