DCA competing in DCI

2 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

And that chatter makes sense, to me at least.

To be absolutely honest... there are several DCA corps that are not close to having a finished product on the field well into July. NOT denigrating those corps.... it gets tougher every year to keep their corps alive, and I admire their efforts... but just stating a sign of the times, I guess. 

Not sure the early-season show sponsors and, yes, the fans, are getting their money's worth, in total. 

But hey... I'm just a blast from the past spitballin' here. So whatever. 😂

"But hey... I'm just a blast from the past spitballin' here. So whatever. 😂

Yeah,  I suppose some think you and I are getting towards the back of the parade, with the Sanitation Sweepers not far behind. Not to worry. I'm all in on reincarnation. I'm comin' back as a Bluecoat.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, ironlips said:

Yeah,  I suppose some think you and I are getting towards the back of the parade, with the Sanitation Sweepers not far behind. Not to worry. I'm all in on reincarnation. I'm comin' back as a Bluecoat.

LOL!!!

I'm sticking around for a bit longer as my fiancee Brenda's biggest fan, since she'll be part of the Crossmen Alumni 50th Anniversary corps in 2024. She's a 1980-81 Bones alum.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

And that chatter makes sense, to me at least.

To be absolutely honest... there are several DCA corps that are not close to having a finished product on the field well into July. NOT denigrating those corps.... it gets tougher every year to keep their corps alive, and I salute their efforts... but just stating a sign of the times, I guess. 

Not sure the early-season show sponsors and, yes, the fans, are getting their money's worth, in total. 

But hey... I'm just a blast from the past spitballin' here. So whatever. 🙂

Talk about getting hit from both ends…. Problems with corps being ready early in the season so mebbe start season later. 
BUT… problems with championships being held Labor Day weekend and members being in school. Plus members who are parents having to get kids to college sites. So mebbe end the season earlier? (Ran into this problem 1977 due to college band camp. Thank goodness band director realized the corps people in the band were “good influences” so cut us slack on leaving Friday night. Still was Hell missing last week of corps practice before DCA and your corps is trying to make top 10 🥵🥵🥵)

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ironlips said:

Always thought if I’d attend a parade the Lancers were at I’d be a “water wench”. That is one of the people behind the corps pulling a wagon full of water bottles. Then at stops run up with an armload of bottles “water? water?”.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Always thought if I’d attend a parade the Lancers were at I’d be a “water wench”. That is one of the people behind the corps pulling a wagon full of water bottles. Then at stops run up with an armload of bottles “water? water?”.

Sending you a PM on FB Messenger. I think you'll get a kick out of it. 😂

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I'm sticking around for a bit longer as my fiancee Brenda's biggest fan, since she'll be part of the Crossmen Alumni 50th Anniversary corps in 2024. She's a 1980-81 Bones alum.

Wasn't aware of the CM having an alumni corps next year.  Something to look forward too.  Good luck to all.

"BUT… problems with championships being held Labor Day weekend and members being in school. Plus members who are parents having to get kids to college sites."

Indeed. It's always been difficult for us to accept the fact that the universe as we know it doesn't revolve around Drum Corps.

Things that interfere and must be pushed away:

1. Family vacation

2. Graduation

3. Prom

4. Weddings, Bar Mitzvahs/Confirmations...etc.

5. Wakes and funerals

6. Court appearances

7. Final exams

8. Elective surgery...

The list is endless and the "civilians" will never understand that Drum Corps comes first...period.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, contraguard05 said:

For sure. But if judges can adjudicate on both Open and World class sheets at a show, they can probably also adjudicate on DCA sheets. Especially if they do the myriad indoor and marching band circuits. If the governing bodies do it right, it could grow the audience for both aspects of the activity.

read a box (theoretically) and assign numbers to said box.  back up numbers with jargon on a tape, and then ask "did you hear my tape" and not know how to respond to "do you remember your comments?" 

its not rocket science... its just all made up to compare apples and forks. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

There were also the Gay Blades in late 50s-early 60s. 

Ballantine Brewers too! A senior corps sponsored by a beer company!

Warren PA Cornplanters too! 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Talk about getting hit from both ends…. Problems with corps being ready early in the season so mebbe start season later. 
BUT… problems with championships being held Labor Day weekend and members being in school. Plus members who are parents having to get kids to college sites. So mebbe end the season earlier? (Ran into this problem 1977 due to college band camp. Thank goodness band director realized the corps people in the band were “good influences” so cut us slack on leaving Friday night. Still was Hell missing last week of corps practice before DCA and your corps is trying to make top 10 🥵🥵🥵)

1. fix the sheets to be less designer influenced.  less needs for "layered demand". 
2. shorten the season to maximize participants
3. will both reduce costs and help bring in more of the "ticket buyer".  note ticket buyers arent in the stands, its the people paying to march.