Percussion question

Cavaliers never fail to impress. 

Think it was '21 when they had an unbelievable feature. Was watching Finals with friends and one of them asked, "Is that hard to do?" I say, "no, not at all for one person playing all 5 drums". 

Plus....who can not love hearing Iowa as they leave the field? 

• Thanks 1

I'm remembering the judging tape on Phantom Regiment's 2010 Sanford winning line and that moment after the basses feature that elicited a "what are you doing? that is wonderful" or something similar.

There’s been many amazing bass lines. Holy Bass any year. Crossmen in the Thurston years. Cavies especially since Mac took over. BD, SCV… the list goes on.

the problem is in a dome it’s harder to hear them and catch the amazing way they split atoms

• Like 1

The Rennick Phantom and SCV lines almost always take the cake for me with the rare exception going to BD or Cadets probably. I can't pick a favorite but Phantom 06, Phantom 07, Phantom 10, SCV 18 instantly come to mind as lines I will show someone if I want to show off what a DCI line can do.

Saying that, it's becoming more and more rare to find a line on finals night that isn't VERY good. Even the last few corps are putting out some very quality lines, which wasn't the case when I marched. The talent in DCI percussion lines is just ridiculous now!

Edited by wilme861

The 1966 Madison Scouts bass drums propelled them into VFW finals.  This was the era of shortened prelim shows (7 min) , and the judging was biased heavily toward execution.   Madison had the entire Corps off the field by the 2-min mark, except for 2 bass drums that continued to mark time to the quarter-notes they were playing.  It worked; Madison made it into finals & came in (iirc) 10th.

But, this probably isn't what OP had in mind.

• Haha 1

In a hurry, but a few obviously unmentioned so far ...

1985/86 Suncoast Sound

1989 Santa Clara Vanguard

2008 Bluecoats

I'll be back

• Like 1