Professional Drum and Bugle Corps!

4 hours ago, Keith Hall said:

Just an idea that popped into my head....

Why not turn the remaining corps into professional drum corps? Members get paid. Corps are owned by wealthy people, etc. Get the idea?

I was looking at the calendar seeing if this was April 1st.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Musicroyal said:

I think that the NCAA and others are incorrect in paying a person for their (NIL) Name, Image and Likeness. And then, that same person who receives the NIL payments opts out of the final competition. Drum corps is different!!!

43 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

Much like DCI, the NCAA is simply the member organizations. There is zero reason for those individual schools to partner and share dollars with outside organizations. Drum corps have nothing financially to offer the NCAA schools. 

It isn't the NCAA's choice to allow NIL. They are required to allow it by law. If they had a choice (which they did for decades) they would keep 100% of that athlete-earned money for themselves. If the law changed tomorrow, they would gladly stop direct deposits tomorrow night.  

The NCAA profited for decades off the NIL of the players, but up until the last 20 years it was millions of dollars spread across 300+ member institutions.  Now the top 50 FBS programs make billions of dollars, the coaches make millions per year, and the players are still getting less than $500k in total compensation, much of which they can't use because they'll never graduate.  The players used to get paid illegally under the table.  Now they're just getting paid legally across the table.  It's the way it should have been all along.

DCI IS different.  How many individual names could anyone ever recall during the MM's marching career?  There aren't names on the backs of their uniforms... in fact, the idea was they were a unit, and the people changed every year.  There are literally thousands of kids aged 14-22 who can and are able to march with virtually any drum corps.  The best wind up with the top organizations.  There are less than 300 football and basketball players who can make an impact on a school's performance and marketing identity each year.  Georgia, Texas, Ohio State... they spend more on recruiting than the combined budgets of all of World Class.

11 hours ago, Musicroyal said:

I think that the NCAA and others are incorrect in paying a person for their (NIL) Name, Image and Likeness. And then, that same person who receives the NIL payments opts out of the final competition. Drum corps is different!!!

Just as a point of clarification  however …. The NCAA does not " pay a person " ( athlete ). it is not them. Businesses do. The NCAA actually is opposed to the NIL concept. But Athletes appealed to the Courts, and courts ruled that it is within the rights of Business entities and Athletes to work out pay incentives among themselves as part of freedom of commerce clause in the US Constitution.

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

The day you turn the customer of drum corps (the tuition-paying 19-year-old) into the product is the day you doom the activity to extinction

This concept did come up recently, and I wonder if the customer of drum corps really is the MM, or is it the person in the stands?  I can come up with support for both, but I can't figure out if DCI could, or would, march without some kind of audience.  

11 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

The NCAA profited for decades off the NIL of the players, but up until the last 20 years it was millions of dollars spread across 300+ member institutions.  Now the top 50 FBS programs make billions of dollars, the coaches make millions per year, and the players are still getting less than $500k in total compensation, much of which they can't use because they'll never graduate.  The players used to get paid illegally under the table.  Now they're just getting paid legally across the table.  It's the way it should have been all along.

DCI IS different.  How many individual names could anyone ever recall during the MM's marching career?  There aren't names on the backs of their uniforms... in fact, the idea was they were a unit, and the people changed every year.  There are literally thousands of kids aged 14-22 who can and are able to march with virtually any drum corps.  The best wind up with the top organizations.  There are less than 300 football and basketball players who can make an impact on a school's performance and marketing identity each year.  Georgia, Texas, Ohio State... they spend more on recruiting than the combined budgets of all of World Class.

and the billions the NCAA makes off of tv revenue.....heck WWE got a billion from Fox for 5 years for Friday Night Smackdown.

DCI had to pay ESPN to get on there. 

11 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

This concept did come up recently, and I wonder if the customer of drum corps really is the MM, or is it the person in the stands?  I can come up with support for both, but I can't figure out if DCI could, or would, march without some kind of audience.  

...or are the customers the STAFF? Hmmmmm

14 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

Just as a point of clarification  however …. The NCAA does not " pay a person " ( athlete ). it is not them. Businesses do. The NCAA actually is opposed to the NIL concept. But Athletes appealed to the Courts, and courts ruled that it is within the rights of Business entities and Athletes to work out pay incentives among themselves as part of freedom of commerce clause in the US Constitution.

In California a NCAA player in any sport can make money on their name for endorsements. NCAA of course tried to stop this but failed. Just their name...not the school they play for. The reason NCAA didn't want this to happen is not because of this small enforcement thing...it will open the door to more money sharing with players. Right now they can't be paid to play for teams even though top conferences make huge money off of them. Television is a big money maker for these conferences. They want it all....stingy is their game.

Edited by DFA1970
  • Like 1

I've always thought cirque du soleil would be better with live musicians performing on stage, which would be the closest I think we could get to professional drum corps.  It's a lot more about choreography than marching with visual nowadays anyway, and I see cirque performers in shows like "Love" or "MJ1", which have more dance than acrobatics, as a professional analog to what we see color guards and even the corps proper do nowadays.

I don't see it ever happening, but I'd love it.