Professional Drum and Bugle Corps!

15 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

This concept did come up recently, and I wonder if the customer of drum corps really is the MM, or is it the person in the stands?  I can come up with support for both, but I can't figure out if DCI could, or would, march without some kind of audience.  

well. some corps have been able to generate revenue, and yet still charge their members thousands for a "touring experience" instead of reducing fees.  because they can.  

The fees paid to world class corps for appearances barely fills a diesel tank or two, let alone pays for their stay each night.

Open class corps get paid $0 for a performance at an open class show.  

the customer is certainly the member paying to do this, not the person in the stands.  

If the customer was actually the people in the stands (that's not a kid the activity is trying to lure into paying to join) the show content, sheets, and operations would be very different. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 9:27 PM, Tenoris4Jazz said:

I wonder if the customer of drum corps really is the MM, or is it the person in the stands?  I can come up with support for both, but I can't figure out if DCI could, or would, march without some kind of audience.  

If you are a nonprofit org that runs a junior drum and bugle corps, your client (customer) is the student first, last and always. That is the hill I will die on. Drum corps exists for the benefit of young people who invest themselves and their resources in the experience.

• Does the general public find value in enjoying drum corps performances? Yes
  • Is the public willing to pay money to enjoy drum corps performances? Yes
  • Is the roar of the crowd part of the reason why young people will pay tuition to experience drum corps? Yes.
  • Do drum corps seek and even require revenue from the public? Yes
  • Do these four facts impose certain obligations upon drum corps to cater to the public's wishes? Yes

Is it not, then, all just a virtuous circle with (to borrow a phrase) No Beginning, No End?

It is a circle, yes. But it has a beginning: The student and his/her tuition check. That is 12 o'clock on the self-reinforcing circle of participants and fans. It starts there. It must start there.

If it does not start there, then the way forward is to stop charging tuition, hire professional performers, drop the age limit, charge $120 for tickets, and hit the road. It would be a hell of a lot simpler business model. Selling entertainment is easier than selling education.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 2