Confessions from a DINO

1 hour ago, TOC said:

With GE at 40 points and Visual at 30 points, this is why music is not as important currently.  

Exactly, and those point allocations were derived directly from the demands of the show programmers. They design the sheets and inform the adjudicators how to apply the criteria.

Edited by ironlips

3 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

In that way, I'm not sure I see colorguard staff leadership out there who have the musical literacy to share the stage efficiently and effectively. Just a theory.

Fair enough, but there are notable exceptions. I met such a person in '83 when we were both signed by the Bridgemen to help write the Ellington show along with Dennis Delucia and Dave Bandy.

At the first camp I was sitting at the piano making some tweaks to the Caravan opener. The new guard instructor walked in, introduced himself, and asked whether he could peruse the arrangement. He then sat at the piano and proceeded to play the first 16 bars of my chart, melody and chords!

I immediately realized two things:

1. We were going to get along very well

2. Scott Chandler was no garden variety guard geek

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

So, is this discussion evolving into a WGI with “background music”? Just asking for a friend.

The contribution today’s color guards make in overall presentation is not debatable, but is it the focus? Brass, percussion, and guard performance deserve equal adjudication in overall GE scores.

Brass and percussion movement are just as critical to the overall GE as are the contributions from the guard. Just another viewpoint.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2023 at 11:28 PM, greg_orangecounty said:

I like old-school English riding boots/skirt color guards best because that was my era.  Something about rifles doing all the same work in perfect precision, military bearing and snap.

And I LOVE-LOVE-LOVE contemporary guards like Boston!!!  So incredible, and they do a lot of group work too - not as much individual dancing, which kinda just fades into the back ground for me.

Color Guards really haven't gotten the credit they deserve.  

it is amazing that the guard score was not part of the total score until 2000

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ironlips said:

Agree...in theory.

correct. listen to a brass or percussion recording....way too much note of visual demands....but listen to a visual tape....literally zero reference to musical demands

• Like 2

14 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Ahem wut? I fully believe you, but this sounds like a strange way to do things.

Consider why DCI and DCA were formed all those years ago: They wanted to make their own rules, and so they did. They have "Task Forces" made up of instructors and others who update and design the scoring system. This has been the case for 50+ seasons.

Edited by ironlips
  • Like 1