Confessions from a DINO

This discussion is great..I'm learning about an area that I took for granted for years..As a soprano player, I saw the color guard as a necessary evil and nothing else...But again, as I said initially, this ain't your mothers CG because these performers are so skilled that some guards remind me of Julliard students on a football field..thanks for all the info..Peace

11 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

No argument from me! Our guard kicked ###! But, at the same time, George Zingali was also changing the paradigm of drill, so that helped as well.   

He was a mentor  BITD Boy can I tell some stories...lol...I was in the horn line of a corps for many years then guard for a few but remember him telling me " here's the future, jump on that train " and I did

• Like 2

9 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I'm not saying anything profound, just that guards had an impact on the scoring sheets and overall perception - good or bad - even though they didn't have their own scoring caption.  Your corps and 2-7 are examples of the positive.  There is one example (BITD) in which a corp was held back from placing higher - maybe even winning(?) - because their guard was less than pedestrian.   

This is actually true. IF something can influence to the positive it sure can to the negative. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Care to expound? It was new territory at the time and it took many corps to catch on to the “ new wave”.

I get what you're saying, and you are also right. BITD it did take time for some to catch the new wave, especially when they saw caption score or not, on the sheets or not, certain guards were changing the activity, influencing all captions, visually stimulated, took some great music and visually brought it to life. If it was actually said or not the influence guards started to contribute went both ways. Still does. It eventually ( as we see ) brought the rest of the corps into new visual possibilities.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

He was a mentor  BITD Boy can I tell some stories...lol...I was in the horn line of a corps for many years then guard for a few but remember him telling me " here's the future, jump on that train " and I did

I’m sure we could swap stories all night long

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, musicteacher said:

Jeff's point about Cesario changing the GE trajectory is well-taken. It may be his greatest contribution as DCI's artistic director.

and it stuck. well mostly.

i remember hearing him speak on that topic around 2006 at a local circuit indoor clinic. he was encouraging GE judges to not just be critics but be fans...it was ok to cheer, cry, laugh...show emotion and react. judges are just big band kids too

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1