Cadets Announce Centennial Endowment

As The Cadets look forward to 2034 and the corps’ 100th anniversary, our management team has conceptualized an endowment fund for The Cadets to help ensure the future of the non-profit organization and corps in perpetuity. The creation of the Endowment was approved by the Cadets Arts & Entertainment (CAE) Board of Directors at the […]

View the full article

Going to be a "negative nelly"  here

2034 is a long way off.

With all the turmoil in DCI, including the issues with SCV, it remains 

possible that Drum Corps in general and The Cadets in particular may not

be around in 2034.

If that does happen, does anyone know what happens to any funds that

were put into the Endowment ?

• Like 1

An admirable effort, but what will $1.9 million be worth in 2034? I say, stick with a 5 year plan and update it accordingly.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

Going to be a "negative nelly"  here

2034 is a long way off.

With all the turmoil in DCI, including the issues with SCV, it remains 

possible that Drum Corps in general and The Cadets in particular may not

be around in 2034.

If that does happen, does anyone know what happens to any funds that

were put into the Endowment ?

Depends on how things are worded when requesting donations.No two capital campaigns are alike, but usually when it is honor an anniversary the funds collected cannot be used until a specific date. You can also earmark donations for specific purposes. With a capital campaign the donations have to be used for the specific purpose but if the the organization does not do so, it is up to the donor to file a complaint. My guess, and I’ll defer to the legal eagles if I am wrong, if an organization folds, the funds must be returned. If the organization goes bankrupt, the donations may be considered assets and would be used to settle debts. To get the money returned, the donor would have to file as a creditor.

I agree 2034 is a long way if, but for Cadets this could a wise move. Cadets needs to prove stability. Two recent directors had their fans and critics and their strengths and flaws, but I think miracles were expected of both and support was at times minimal. I’m hoping history will not repeat itself. I think a longer campaign would allow Cadets  to prove stability, though the five year suggestion by Sutaurus has merit too. 

11 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

An admirable effort, but what will $1.9 million be worth in 2034? I say, stick with a 5 year plan and update it accordingly.

• Like 1

You mean, there's a drum corps that actually has a plan that extends past next August? Astounding!

Setting up an endowment (anniversary dates being totally irrelevant, actually) sure beats cookie sales, and provides some hedge support vis-a-vis dwindling Bingo and the occasional alumni picnic. And it's a good deal safer and less fraught with intrigue than borrowing large sums from shady characters.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, ironlips said:

You mean, there's a drum corps that actually has a plan that extends past next August? Astounding!

Setting up an endowment (anniversary dates being totally irrelevant, actually) sure beats cookie sales, and provides some hedge support vis-a-vis dwindling Bingo and the occasional alumni picnic. And it's a good deal safer and less fraught with intrigue than borrowing large sums from shady characters.

This approach  may be "a good deal safer and less fraught with intrigue . . " for the corps.

But what about the investors

As they  "the devil is in the details".

The ads  for investment products always say "read our prospectus carefully, before you

invest ".

Seems like a really good idea here.

22 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

This approach  may be "a good deal safer and less fraught with intrigue . . " for the corps.

But what about the investors

As they  "the devil is in the details".

The ads  for investment products always say "read our prospectus carefully, before you

invest ".

Seems like a really good idea here.

Well at least they're forward-thinking about this. Given the state of drum corps nowadays, I believe a lot more corps need to think more about their financial futures than not. We don't want more SCV-type situations taking place. 

• Like 2

Not knowing much about the investment world at least Cadets are looking outside of the “same old same old” ways of staying solvent. 
Not sure about the 2034 vibe. Is it collect money until then and… then what?

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Not knowing much about the investment world at least Cadets are looking outside of the “same old same old” ways of staying solvent. 
Not sure about the 2034 vibe. Is it collect money until then and… then what?

I believe the plan is to have an alumni corps in 2034, probably similar to the Bluecoats alumni corps from last year. My guess is this money would go towards funding the alumni corps.